.243 87gr vid vs 95gr classic hunter.

Poe

I have been shooting the 87gr bergers in my .243 with good results on targets and they did a good job on my white tail last year. I have been throwing around the idea of trying the 95gr classic hunter. The BC is a bit better but I was wondering if it would be worth switching over or if I should just stick with the 87's. what are your thoughts.

Go for it. You should be able to stabilize the 95s as they are only slightly different in length to the 87s. To be sure plug in the data on Berger's stability calculator: https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

The 95 is a hybrid so it is less finicky with seating depth. My experiences with several diameters and weights is just seat to fit and feed from magazine and work up a load.

I just got back from my local gun shop and it's looking like I will have to start all over. According to him Berger got bought out or something and he said it's very hard for him to get anything from them now. He said he can't get anymore 87's or 95's and he still can't find me any 35gr Berger's for my .204.

Apparently this happened a long time ago and everything he was selling was old stock or bullets he was buying from other stores. He was saying now if he wants to order Berger bullets they want him to buy 15000$ worth and he can't afford it and it would take him years to move that much product

I just got back from my local gun shop and it's looking like I will have to start all over. According to him Berger got bought out or something and he said it's very hard for him to get anything from them now. He said he can't get anymore 87's or 95's and he still can't find me any 35gr Berger's for my .204.
Dang, I love me some bergers. I have had supply issues with them in the past, so I have worked some stuff up with Hornady EldX/Ms.

Dang, I love me some bergers. I have had supply issues with them in the past, so I have worked some stuff up with Hornady EldX/Ms.
He gave me a few 103gr eldx to try out but from what I hear they won't stabilize in a 1-9.25 twist but if I can I can find some load data I will give them a try and see. I am thinking if I use the load data from the 105gr A max that should be a safe place to start

He gave me a few 103gr eldx to try out but from what I hear they won't stabilize in a 1-9.25 twist but if I can I can find some load data I will give them a try and see. I am thinking if I use the load data from the 105gr A max that should be a safe place to start

Whats your elevation? They might stabilize just fine.

Hornady says you need a 1 in 8 twist for the 103 ELD X. Even if those 103 grain bullets shoot they won't be stabilized properly. The result will be a lower BC. Input the specifics into that Berger stability calculator to see what you will get at 1800 ft elevation.

I am usually frustrated when I look locally prefer to buy online. Both the 87 and 95 gr 6mm Berger bullets are available at:
Midway
Natchez
Grafs
Bruno shooter's supply
I am sure there are other outlets.

Last edited:
My .243 is a 1:10 twist and shoots the 95 grain VLDs great. In the .243, I hunt with the heaviest bullet I can shoot out of it....unless they are varmints.

Hornady says you need a 1 in 8 twist for the 103 ELD X. Even if those 103 grain bullets shoot they won't be stabilized properly. The result will be a lower BC. Input the specifics into that Berger stability calculator to see what you will get at 1800 ft elevation.

I am usually frustrated when I look locally prefer to buy online. Both the 87 and 95 gr 6mm Berger bullets are available at:
Midway
Natchez
Grafs
Bruno shooter's supply
I am sure there are other outlets.
Do you know if any of those will ship to Canada. I know I have tried to get parts from Brownels but they won't do it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.