.243 .23 caliber or less?

dixiehunter

Good Morning Everyone!

I am trying to figure something out that seems to be a grey area for me. I own a Rem. 700 in a .243 and I live in New Brunswick Canada and winter is coming soon and for me that means 'Yote hunting time. However, the regulations in my area state that you must use a .23 Caliber or less at this time of year. So, I know that a .243 is a 6mm. What confuses me is that 6mm = 0.236 so would this be considered .23 caliber or less? Thanks everyone!

No matter what anyones opinion on this forum or anywhere else, if it were me I would get a clarification from your local, regional or national fish and game departments.

That is definetly a little different regulation then you normally would run in to.

We have a similar regulation West of I-25 during big game rifle seasons here in Colorado.

From what little I know a 6mm = 24cal which is .243. All my bullets have this on their boxes.

I would understand the regulation to read that 6mm's are a no, no.

But as Cowboy stated... Double check.

Jon

1MM = 0.0393700787 Inches . 6MM = 0.236220 . I think that's why your Regulations state the 0.236 Figure. When you check with your Authorities , I'm betting that you can use your 6mm .

I'll second the suggestion to call the local officials, get farther up the food chain than the receptionist, get name and title, written if possible, going in person better yet.
With that said get a micrometer and measure your bullets a good micrometer is cheaper than a ticket. What you will find is the bullets are .243, (6.18mm I think).
Also, .236 is bigger than .23, decimals count in court. Here if it's fuzzy at all they write the ticket, and your choice is fight it (expensive) or pay it (usually less expensive).
The firearms industry has a habit of rounding up or down, and back again once a thing gets to the marketing folks. The 6mm Remington was once the .244 Remington. The legal, and technical folks tend to be more precise. From a couple of thousand miles away it doesn't seem grey to me. I'd leave my 6mm Remington at home.

Here's a little more about " Caliber " . It looks like the Groove Diameter ( of the Barrel ) is about the same size as the Bullet Diameter or in some cases 0.002 or 0.003 inches larger . These Grooves impart Spin to the Bullet . The Barrel Bore diameter is typically 0.008 to maybe a few more than 0.008 thousandths smaller than The Bullet Diameter . I could not find exact Figures for the 6MM . But here are some for the 30 Caliber : Groove = 0.308 inches , Bullet = 0.308 inches , Bore = 0.300 inches . If you use these Numbers as typical , your 6 MM Bore Diam is about 0.235 inches .

Here's a little more about " Caliber " . It looks like the Groove Diameter ( of the Barrel ) is about the same size as the Bullet Diameter or in some cases 0.002 or 0.003 inches larger . These Grooves impart Spin to the Bullet . The Barrel Bore diameter is typically 0.008 to maybe a few more than 0.008 thousandths smaller than The Bullet Diameter . I could not find exact Figures for the 6MM . But here are some for the 30 Caliber : Groove = 0.308 inches , Bullet = 0.308 inches , Bore = 0.300 inches . If you use these Numbers as typical , your 6 MM Bore Diam is about 0.235 inches .

Here are some measurements of 2 6mm bullets. Sorry I can't do the bore, there is a break and it would not be correct.

Pulled my order sheet form Krieger. 4 groove, bore dia .2370, groove dia .2430

Hope this helps.

Jon

IMAG0119.jpg
IMAG0115.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.