240 weatherby

tmanoid

Looking for suggestions on bullets for deer in the 240. The areas that I hunt my shots are probably going to be under 200.

One of my best deer came when I was carrying my 240. I was loading 95 grain Partitions at the time over a heavy charge of RL22. I figured that I was prepared for a long shot! That buck appeared at 30-30 range (about 80 yards) LOL. The bullet held together and passed through one shoulder and out the opposite side. I've switched to the 95 grain ballistic tips and they are a much tougher bullet than a lot of guys think (and super accurate). I also have used the 105 grain Berger recently with good success but you need the right twist. That bullet left a big hole in the off side of a medium sized buck this past year.

It wasn't THAT long ago when most shots at deer were 200 yards or under and the .240 WBY loads used soft points or spitzers or the Partition bullets. Nothing fancy, just plain old cup and core bullets shot into the right place for effective harvesting, at least for meat hunters...;)

When I started shooting the .240 WBY for longer range shots, I switched to the Hornady 105 gr. AMAX which is superb on Coues deer. Now I'm going to try out some of the 110 gr. A-Tips to see if Hornady held up their end of the bargain. I also have some Berger 108 gr. ELH to test as well. These may get loaded for a Mule deer hunt.

I do shoot the Nosler 95 gr. BT but only in the smaller frame 6XC hunting rifles.

Enjoy!

If you live in the deep south two hundred yards is still a long shot for most hunters, even green fields are kept under that range. But if you're like me and hunt the big agriculture fields 225 is just point and pull. 450 and further are now the name of the game. Had to re think all my hunting rifles and rest consideration. You can teach an old dog new tricks. For what its worth, if you set up beside the wheel of a center pivot deer and coyote don't believe you exist.

Attachments

• 20220130_154212.jpg
    20220130_154212.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 73
Looking for suggestions on bullets for deer in the 240. The areas that I hunt my shots are probably going to be under 200.

Lots of good ideas, the 100 Horn spbt is another good one as are the 70 and 95 NBT's

I ran a 6/06 a lot for a decade, went thru 2 barrels the 70 and 95 NBT's were my main go to's. The 55 NBT's worked well also

If a 1-10 twist...don't overlook the 95gr NBT. Super tough bullet, accurate and holds up well at 240 velocities. I run them over a max charge of RL-26 at 3400ish on Central and South Texas deer and hogs. Kill's like the dickens. I was a big fan boy of the 257 Wby, but found the 240 Roy, 95 NBT combo kills em' just as quick, but with less recoil and muzzle blast. It's about all I carry now.

This is one of my favorite rounds ever. Unfortunately, thw 1:10 twist handicaps its potential greatly. If you can find them, 100gr Sierra ProHunters will invert deer in their tracks run to around 3350 at the muzzle with an exit wound deatroying surprisingly little meat. They are super accurate and have a thicker-than-normal jacket preventing failure at such high velocities. I would have built one in 8 twist already, but brass is non-existent. Got my hands on a couple of 20 round boxes a year and a half or so ago, but will not commit to building one until I can get at least 100 or so more pieces. But the Sierra ProHunter 100gr is my go to for all things 6mm and fast.