.240 Weatherby

Thanks for the reply.
New gun. Only have 40 through it of factory. put 3 of my loads today.
Can't find RL 22 so trying to make the 7828 work.
I'm already shooting / chrono. Just was curious what others are finding " towards the end of the rabbit hole"!!
I use QL also. I'm hitting the node I targeted, pushing it a little harder than I want. Hopefully speeds up some more = less powder.
Will start working up loads now.
Thanks again!

I don't own a 240 Weatherby but my Nosler reloading manual shows 95/100 gr bullets using IMR 7828 49.5 gr start and max 53.5 with 3260 fps.
Not sure about Berger's but a call to Berger will get results.They talk to reloader's more than any other bullet maker I know of.
243 on steroids.
Old Rooster

I realize that you may not be able to find the powder you want. Thought I'd mention some other powders that should work in case you have them. I shoot a 6mm-284 with almost identical case capacity to your 240 Roy with a 1 in 7.5 twist 5R bartlein in a 28" barrel with 105 Bergers.

Randy Derks old world record @ 1000 YDS with 54 grains of Reloader 22 - Federal 210m primer - Sierra 107 grain Match King bullet - 3425 fps

I have had good success with 105 Berger using Retumbo, and RL-33. RL-33 yielded more velocity.
56 gr of Retumbo with 105 A-max 3233 fps. 62.5 gr of RL-33 with 105s for 3450 fps. Please work up the loads carefully if you try them, every rifle is different.

I would think any slower powder in this range would work. Perhaps RL-25, RL-26, and H1000 as well

I realize that you may not be able to find the powder you want. Thought I'd mention some other powders that should work in case you have them. I shoot a 6mm-284 with almost identical case capacity to your 240 Roy with a 1 in 7.5 twist 5R bartlein in a 28" barrel with 105 Bergers.

Randy Derks old world record @ 1000 YDS with 54 grains of Reloader 22 - Federal 210m primer - Sierra 107 grain Match King bullet - 3425 fps

I have had good success with 105 Berger using Retumbo, and RL-33. RL-33 yielded more velocity.
56 gr of Retumbo with 105 A-max 3233 fps. 62.5 gr of RL-33 with 105s for 3450 fps. Please work up the loads carefully if you try them, every rifle is different.

I would think any slower powder in this range would work. Perhaps RL-25, RL-26, and H1000 as well
Have you ever tried the 110 smk or 109 berger? I haven't but I'm going to be trying them soon in a 6mmPRC. Just curious about what other heavy bullets you may have tried since you are pretty familiar with pushing 6mm heavies very fast.

DJ: I know this is slightly off topic as the OP asked about the 240 Roy.....

My friends and I purchased heavy Bartlein 5R 1 in 7.5 twist barrels 30" long over a dozen years ago with the intent of shooting the 115 DTAC bullet. I made a 6mm-284 and one guy made a 6mm SLR, the other made a dasher. None of us could get those bullets to shoot! One friend, the one who recently has a pending world record 1000 yd heavy BR record had the dasher. If he says the bullets wouldn't shoot believe him!
link:

I moved on to 107 Sierra MK and they shot well. Here is what I tried from my document files:
I switched to the 107 Sierra matchking.
Test results:

with RL-17
temp 64 degrees
47 gr 3230
48 gr 3285 showing signs of pressure slight bolt lift
--------------------------------------

with H-1000 and Retumbo.
Retumbo worked the best of those three powders.

57 gr of Retumbo with 107 SMK was most accurate velocity 3363 ave of 5 shots
I repeated the chronographing and shooting for three range sessions and stayed with this powder for a while.
-------------------------
tried H4831 with 107 sierra
50 gr 3116 average for 8 rounds
--------------------------
RL-22 with 107 SMK
52 gr 3210
52.5 gr 3250
53 gr 3283 most accurate
anything past this showed pressure

All the above loads with the 107 SMK had the bullet very close to rifling.
-------
Then the 105 Berger hybrid came out. Switched and never tried anything else.

Have you ever tried the 110 smk or 109 berger? I haven't but I'm going to be trying them soon in a 6mmPRC. Just curious about what other heavy bullets you may have tried since you are pretty familiar with pushing 6mm heavies very fast.
I've looked at most of the heavier bullets, yes.
After workups in QL and then running in EXBAL ballistic program the 105 berger vld hunter shows the best THEORETICALLY!!!!!
It's all about trying to hit the node I need for now to get there.
If I can't, it's on to try others.
I think I'm going to get there. Barrel is getting faster / so slowing it down decreasing powder.
Playing with how much jump now. Went from .032" to .087" yesterday and was surprised!

I've looked at most of the heavier bullets, yes.
After workups in QL and then running in EXBAL ballistic program the 105 berger vld hunter shows the best THEORETICALLY!!!!!
It's all about trying to hit the node I need for now to get there.
If I can't, it's on to try others.
I think I'm going to get there. Barrel is getting faster / so slowing it down decreasing powder.
Playing with how much jump now. Went from .032" to .087" yesterday and was surprised!
I'm guessing that with the right powder & a 105gr, nodes somewhere around 3250 fps or 3350fps should be possible. Possibly even a higher node but I'm guessing that next node up would definitely be at or near max pressure.

I'm guessing that with the right powder & a 105gr, nodes somewhere around 3250 fps or 3350fps should be possible. Possibly even a higher node but I'm guessing that next node up would definitely be at or near max pressure.
You're correct. sitting at 61,666 now. That's with .087" jump. Still gaining a little speed at 50 shots, but obviously not a lot.
Right at 3500 fps. Puts me dead nuts on my node on paper. Going out to shoot some more groups / tune loads some more.
Worked on it some more pm. I believe 7828 is the choice for this node. (1.210) 55.3 grns. @ .032" off.
Average warm summer day is around 50 degrees up here.

Didn't have enough neck tension. (.001"). went to .002" with same 55.3 grns. Velocities were not consistent enough.
Headed for 55.1 or .2 grns. as too fast on the 1 series of loads. Bartein barrel is loosening up. press going down speed up.
bang bang in the am!
Any Quickload guys on here to talk about starting pressures/bullet type?

Recent Posts