240 Weatherby

baydog

Going to chunk a few rounds through my 240 weatherby today to zero it in . It was actually cheaper to buy loaded factory weatherby ammo 100grain sp then it was to buy brass only. It was about a $5 price diffrence for a box of 20... Anyway I have shot 20 rounds through it and sighted it in accordng to weatherbys ammo ballistic chart. I'm not real comfortable with what they say and how i set the gun and left it so I'm going to do some more shooting today to get that monkey off my back. Weatherby says 2.5" high at 100 yards which I'm not to worried about but they said at 200 yards it should be 3.8" high and thats what i'm not comfortable with. I don't like the ideal of having a gun shooting about 4" high at 200 yards. I shot it at 300 yards and it is about 2"low...Probally the longest shot hunting i would have to make is 500 yards but that wouldn't be to often. More frequent shot would be 100- 300 yard shot. Think i'm going to try 1.5" to maybe 2" @ 200 and go from there. Has anybody got a 240 weatherby and what do you have your gun sighted in for?...
Thanks

baydog

If you are deer size game hunting I would not worry about 3.8" at 200 yards. I have always sighted in most deer rifles 3" high at 100 yards and most will be between 3.5 to 4" high at 200. When shooting at 200 yards I just make sure that I am holding center or just slightly below center of front shoulder or center mass. Best thing you can do is shoot at 200 and really see where your impact is. I would rather be 4" high at 200 than 4" or more low at 300. Slightly high shots takes out the spine most of the time and kills instantly but low hits breaks a leg and usually means lost game that lots of the time still dies a suffering death.

Yes those 240 W cases must have some gold in them for what that cost. My hunting buddy had one for a while and I could not believe what he gave for the cases. He used it one season but really did not like it. It was really too fast for using cup and core bullets under 100 yards on deer if you hit bone. Best bullet he used was the 100 Partition. Some young speed freak kid wanted the rifle and my buddy gladly let him get it. It was a Mauser 98 action with a Douglas XX 26" barrel. It was very accurate. He had it back before the new bonded and mono bullets came out.

If you are deer size game hunting I would not worry about 3.8" at 200 yards. I have always sighted in most deer rifles 3" high at 100 yards and most will be between 3.5 to 4" high at 200. When shooting at 200 yards I just make sure that I am holding center or just slightly below center of front shoulder or center mass. Best thing you can do is shoot at 200 and really see where your impact is. I would rather be 4" high at 200 than 4" or more low at 300. Slightly high shots takes out the spine most of the time and kills instantly but low hits breaks a leg and usually means lost game that lots of the time still dies a suffering death.

Yes those 240 W cases must have some gold in them for what that cost. My hunting buddy had one for a while and I could not believe what he gave for the cases. He used it one season but really did not like it. It was really too fast for using cup and core bullets under 100 yards on deer if you hit bone. Best bullet he used was the 100 Partition. Some young speed freak kid wanted the rifle and my buddy gladly let him get it. It was a Mauser 98 action with a Douglas XX 26" barrel. It was very accurate. He had it back before the new bonded and mono bullets came out.
Thanks RT2506 . I got rained out today but I will see whats going on at 200 and 300 yards I do a lot of neck shooting so it's a smaller target for the fudge factor but i like neck shooting because it's either a bang flop shot or a flat out miss but not unless i got a scope so big i can start a small grass fire with it, after 200 yards i move back to the engine room cause the neck just gets to small for me so i see what you mean about shooting a little high at 200 ain't such a bad thing after all.

I sight in all my hunting rifles at 2.5 inch high at a 100. I then shoot them at 2-3-400 to see where they actually hit with the bullet and load i pick. then i tape a little cheat sheet on the gun. Probably wouldnt be nessisary if a guy only used one rifle but i sometimes switch every day. Just changing your bullet can effect your poa at 300 yards but 4 or more inches. I used to use a 3 inch zero but found a 2.5 makes it easier for the close in shots and holdover is no problem for the longer shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.