240 weatherby

baydog

Hello everyone! Does anyone own a .240 Weatherby and what do you think of it?
Thanks
baydog

I would not do it again! There are much better 6mm rounds to be had.
I smell what yer steppin in..I Just went to local gun shop, a box of loaded ammo is $95..What the #ell !!.. I load my own ammo but dang $95 a box!!
Thanks
baydog

Basically a 6mm/06 with a belt.
I have a couple of friends who have 6mm/06's and they are deadly on coyotes with 70gr NBT's at 4000 fps.
not heard of a 6mm/06 sound bad ***** gonna check them out

thanks

baydog

And even if you get a pile of brass and reload -- the Weatherby penchant for long free bore makes long range accuracy a challenge. Not impossible, but hit or miss.

My take is this: Roy Weatherby wanted flat shooting guns because in his day, scopes and range finders were not nearly as advanced as they are today. Summed up: Accuracy was not as valuable as speed, since shooting beyond 300 yards or so was impossible to use reliably, regardless of your gun.

Now, we take super accurate over super fast. Because we have range finders and turreted scopes we can shoot longer ranges by far than Weatherby envisioned.

Now, admittedly, there is no perfect 6mm gun. Any accurate one is nice for the kind of work the 6mm should do. For banging steel, targets or exploding a varmint, accuracy is what matters. Should you desire to kill a deer you also need energy and a well designed bullet.

I would chance a 240 Wby ONLY if I was a handloader. Period. And the price better be good!

If the price is good and you handload, and you like challenges, and you don't mind being defeated now and then, then go for it. You might hit it great and really have a beast that someone never really loaded for accuracy. You might have real junk that shoots fast and inaccurate and cannot be saved.

With the 240 W you can't make that case out of any other case and they cost an arm and a leg. My hunting buddy had one for a little while. For deer hunting only bullet he ever tried was 100 gr Sierra. On anything shot under 150 yards the bullet really blew up and ruined a lot of meat and never exited. He did not keep it long.

6mm-06 is just the 30-06 necked down to 6mm. Really fast and really burns up a barrel quickly also.

can 25-06 brass be made into 240 wheatherby or is the 240 weatherby a breed of it's own??..Or am i way out of wack on this

well -- a mean answer would be -- yes, out of wack!

I think the other post explaining that you cannot make a 240 Wby case out of nothin' is correct. You both were posting at the same time I think.

If you reload, don't be afraid of the 240 Weatherby. There are plenty of folks out there who have built very accurate 240 Wby's. Also, the 240 Weatherby DOES NOT have the long freebore of the other Wby Mags. It's much shorter...comparable to a 25 or 30-06.

If you do build a 240, go with an or 8-9 twist barrel and shoot the long heavy bullets. This is where the 240 would really shine. Run a 105 VLD along at 3200-3300 fps and watch it put many other more powerful cartridges to shame at the longer distances.

My experience with the .240 was in a custom chambered Hart barrel w/ 1-9 twist. I hand loaded for it, bought Norma brass. The **** thing would drive nails. But, it's an idiot round. It won't do anything a good custom barreled 6mm Ackley can't do and the 6mm will do it with less of a charge. I'm a firm believer that the 6mm Ackley is about max efficent case size for the 6mm/.243s. Anything more is just a waste of powder. Been there, done that,,, don't think I'll go back again. When I toast this Ackley I'll rebarrel to the same. PS I found alot of variation in case size with the factory loaded .240,,,,,, much more than I feel I should have for Norma made cases.

My experience with the .240 was in a custom chambered Hart barrel w/ 1-9 twist. I hand loaded for it, bought Norma brass. The **** thing would drive nails. But, it's an idiot round. It won't do anything a good custom barreled 6mm Ackley can't do and the 6mm will do it with less of a charge. I'm a firm believer that the 6mm Ackley is about max efficent case size for the 6mm/.243s. Anything more is just a waste of powder. Been there, done that,,, don't think I'll go back again. When I toast this Ackley I'll rebarrel to the same. PS I found alot of variation in case size with the factory loaded .240,,,,,, much more than I feel I should have for Norma made cases.

ok so a 6mm-06 is a 30-06 or 25-06 necked down to a to take a 6mm or 243 bullet and you can make a 6mm-06 out of a 25-06 picec of brass by running a 25-06 brass through a 6mm-06 die. But the only way to get a 6mm-06 gun is to have one built?..I can buy a wheatherby vanguard S2 for $500 which i think is weatherbys cheapest line of gun they make. But we all know what cheap usually gets ya but the only way to own a 6mm-06 is to have it custom built and that ain't gonna happen for $500...I don't know for now i got my hands full with a new Sendero 300 RUM that I'm having a break put on and getting that beast under control. But i was looking to replace the 22-250 that I sold because it didn't have enough knock down for deer hunting ur didn;t shoot as far as i expected out of it and thats how i got on the 240 train. I know a 243 or 6 mm is a nice smooth shooting smaller caliber that is enough lead to knock em down and to me the 240 is a 243 on steroids ...6mm-06 sounds cool but has to be custom built..gun)

You are correct that a 6mm/06 is a custom affair.
We built them off Stevens actions, Stockade stocks, Timney triggers and PacNor chambered barrels assembled ourselves for around $1200.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.