.240 Weatherby Magnum: The Hotrod 6mm

ADMIN

Administrator
In 1968 Roy Weatherby designed and created his last Weatherby magnum cartridge. To compete with the .240 H&H, the .240 was born. Typical of Roy Weatherby's prior rounds, the .240 also had a belted case. It has survived for all these years but its future may be in doubt. Like most of Weatherby's cartridges, the cost of .240 ammunition and brass is rather expensive. Norma makes the brass with the Weatherby head stamp plus the loaded ammunition. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, .240 Weatherby Magnum: The Hotrod 6mm, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

This is a thread for discussion of the article, .240 Weatherby Magnum: The Hotrod 6mm, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Just a couple of things. The author states Nosler makes a 6mm Accubond Long Range. Unless I'm mistaken, this is incorrect. Nosler doesn't currently offer the ABLR in 6mm.

Secondly, in regard to the high cost of ammo, the author is correct. However, it would be worth mentioning for those considering a 240 that Weatherby does offer a budget minded factory load utilizing Norma/Weatherby brass and a 100 gr Spitzer bullet. The cost is around $35.00 a box, which is cheaper than a box of virgin brass. Additionally, reports are it's a deadly Whitetail round.

Thanks for the article. Nice to see the 240 Weatherby get some love. Great cartridge!

I'm currently restocking a 1909 Peruvian Mauser that was rechambered for that round way back in 1968 by the gun writer, George Nonte when he was writing an article for the now-defunct "Handloader" magazine.
My father knew Nonte (at that time he lived less than 30 minutes away from us) and did a few trades with him. That Peruvian was one and it may well be the very first rifle in that caliber not in Weatherby's possession.

The 6mm ABLR were still available when this article was written. Nosler folks sent them to me. It now appears that they will not be available for 2015. My point was that the .240 velocity may be too fast for some bullets.

Brass is cheaper and more plentiful for a 6/284 ( Sizing down 6.5x284 brass ) than a 240 Weatherby . I can push 105s to 3400 . So what's not to love about that ?

Well, a few of things actually.

First, if you want to shoot a 6-284 you have to build or buy a custom. ($$$)
You can buy a 240 Roy chambered in a multitude of rifles from Weatherby. Cheapest being a plain old Vanguard for around $550 that's guaranteed to shoot sub moa.

Second. If you're a hunter, you want feeding reliability. Have read many reports of 6-284 shooters having feeding issues. Not saying all, but many.

As for 3400fps with 105's. Yes it's possible with a 6-284, but you're load is bursting at the seams and or your barrel is a min of 26 in, but most likely 28-30. No free lunch. The 240 Roy has a skosh less powder capacity, but not much less than the 6-284, so apples to apples, the 240 Roy will hang right in there with a 6-284.

I just built a 240 Weatherby & I love it. It has an 8" twist so it works with the 105's & does it ever let the air out of coyotes!
To each their own. I will keep a 240 in my arsenal as long as I hunt.
Thanks, Kirk

morning, u forgot the 6mm AI. I have a 6mm AI on a Winchester short a, single shot blocked action, very heavy weight barrel. The stock is modified with a 4"w extention laminated on the front of the stock. Very appealing, Anyway Berger 95gr.VLD, 57.5grs 4831sc, Winchester brass and 210 M. primer. extremely accurate shooter. I did a 2 shot run of each powder weight, 57.0,57.5, 58.0. The 57.5 was the winner. On increasing powder increments the group spread out to above the .50. I shot a 5 shot spread over 30 minutes, got a .400 At the time I did not have chrono.

Thank U

just countrygun)

morning, a person I know built a 6.5 mag. necked down to .244. used sierra 107gr. match bthp. this is a screamer. u said u used retumbo powder. how do u like this powder? I have the powder but have never used. I thought this was used in the big boomers? thank u for the info

have a good one

just countrygun)

I like retumbo. I think it can be used in a lot of cases that are overbore. I've shot it in 243 with 107 and 115gr bullets, the 6-06 with 105s, a 22/6mm and my 7 mag and of course 300 wm

240 Weatherby = belted 243/06
Since the two are ballistic twins why would anyone opt for the expensive brass version?
PooPoo on factory ammo. If you don't load your own your not serious enough about accuracy or ballistic superiority so just stick with a 243 or 6mm Rem
If your serious about the things that matter and you want to shoot a 24 cal very fast and have easily accessible brass at bargain price then go with the beltless version. The Weatherby double radious shoulder offers ballistic gain equal to that of the Herter's double cyclone shoulder which is and was zero.

240 Weatherby = belted 243/06
Since the two are ballistic twins why would anyone opt for the expensive brass version?

Having just ordered a 240wby I can tell you why I did.
Availability in a factory rifle and availability of factory ammo.

Compare the cost of a rifle, my vanguard will cost me around $600, don't know about the cost of a build in the US but here in Aus your looking at around $600 minimum to supply fit and chamber add in the cost of a donor rifle and your going to be up for $1k
A set of dies for the 240 have cost me $80, 6mm/06 will cost me $300-400.

So a rifle and dies sees me set up for a minimum of $600 cheaper with a 240 v 6mm/06.

Loaded norma ammo for the 240 will cost me double what unprimed Lapua or nosler 06 brass will. By the time I load the 06 brass not much cheaper at all.

So I had the choice of buying and setting up for a 240 with 100 rds or doing the same thing with a 6mm/06 but having to wait upwards of a year for a build and having to pay at least $500 extra to do so.

The more expensive brass is a far cheaper option for me when everything is factored in.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.