240 weatherby magnum for elk

rickv16

Hey all I was wondering if the 240 weatherby mag would be sufficient for elk hunting or is it a smaller game rifle? Reason I'm asking is that I recently sold my 300 win mag and only have the 240. Any and all info would be appreciated. Also if anyone is sellin a good used rifle for under 500 I'd be interested. Not looking to spend a whole lot, a factory rifle will suffice.

Thanks
Rick

16, .240 Wby on elk is perhaps a little shy of ethical. Sure there are those who will post claims of 20-30 years killing elk with light bullets, but consistent humane kills at distance may require a heavier caliber. Not knocking the .240 Wby since my next rifle will definitely be this caliber. I will use it on coyotes and javelina. I see several nice 7mm and up rifles on the local Backpage regularly. Purchasing a decent factory rifle shouldn't be very difficult and you will have something which will take an elk at a good distance. Good luck

It's not my favorite elk cartridge, and always stirs up conflict.

Take what you have, and have fun. Maybe next year you'll either love or hate it as an elk round.

My 240 Roy sports a 27" Brux barrel & shoots the 90 Accubond @ 3350 fps. I would not hesitate to hunt elk with it but I would be very careful on shot placement.
Thanks, Kirk

Rick, check the ELK REGS in the state you will be hunting cause I think I read years ago that CO req, .243 or bigger. Good Luck. gun)

Rick, check the ELK REGS in the state you will be hunting cause I think I read years ago that CO req, .243 or bigger. Good Luck. gun)

A 240 Weatherby is a 243 caliber, so it is completely legal.

Same bullet as the 243 Winchester, just more powder to push it. 53.9 vs 58.8 gr water capacity is the comparison per Nosler's information. There is information on using a 243 Win for elk, so that may be a useful comparison.

I thought hard about using my 257 Weatherby for elk a few years ago. Given that the shot I had was 450 yards with a stiff wind, I was very glad it was a 340 Weatherby that made the trip instead.

I have used the .240W with 90X (back in the 90s) for exotics like Axis and coyotes, all under 325 or so. It was perfect. I have a church member who has used it for decades here in Utah with the 95 partition for deer/elk, up to 400yds or so. He holds tight behind the shoulder, gets his game. As always, it depends on your will-power...if you have busted your hump for a week in the hills, and you finally get a shot at a hard angling bull, over 200yds away...could you pass it up? If not, then no, the .240w will disappoint you. If you are after hay field cows, late season, you will have better shot opportunities and then yes, it will do swell! However, if its the only rifle you have and you would rather spend your money on the hunt itself, go for it! Life is too short to agonize over it, just have a ball!

Hey all I was wondering if the 240 weatherby mag would be sufficient for elk hunting or is it a smaller game rifle? Reason I'm asking is that I recently sold my 300 win mag and only have the 240. Any and all info would be appreciated. Also if anyone is sellin a good used rifle for under 500 I'd be interested. Not looking to spend a whole lot, a factory rifle will suffice.

Thanks
Rick

Cartridge isn't as important as shot placement. An elk won't know whether a .240 Wby or a .300 Win Mag stopped its heart. My suggestion would us a heavy Partition.

Personally, I'd go with a bigger rifle with a heavier bullet. A 160 grain .284 Partition will kill elk. Even a .308 Win with a 180 grain Partition will cause you a whole lot of work. Killing an elk ain't anywhere as much work as getting it out.

If the .240 Wby is all you have, practice a lot & aim for heart/lungs. Nothing is long for this world sans oxygenated blood to its brain.

The hunter with one rifle assuredly knows how to shoot it.

Best of luck.

I have another friend who uses only the Hornady 100gr Boat Tail spire point in his 240W, from mule deer to bull elk!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.