240 weatherby mag

Joel Russo,

what's the barrel life assuming you allow for the barrel to cool off after 2 rounds? Myself, just a long range coyote and mountain lion hunter shooting these at deer and elk wintering feeding grounds trying to promote the population of these elk and deer. No hound hunting nor baiting of cougar and bears in Oregon since the 1990's and it's taking it toll.

Is it true that 105 grain Berger's will blow in a 1:8 twist barrel @ 3300FPS?

Barrel life is certainly hard to predict in any configuration, not to mention a hot 6mm. Your barrel will last longer, read less throat erosion over time, if you are not shooting 10 shot strings in competition. If you are using this rifle as a varmint rifle or hunting rifle, then you will most likely see many years of service before you have any discernible throat erosion. If I had to take a guess at round count, I would say acceptable accuracy would last for approximately 600-800 rounds.
My rifle was built as a dedicated groundhog rifle, with no concern about barrel life. I figured I would get many years of use before I had to re-barrel. Six years later, it's still shooting well.
My velocity is accurate as I have clocked it over an Oehler 35, 43, and PVM22. I'm running a Hart 28" barrel that may be on the fast side.
When I built the stock, I conducted a brief round of load development to verify my load. It grouped in the .1s at 100, and hung around 1" at 300 yards.
If you're concerned about blow ups, you may consider using a 9 twist. The 9 twist will stabilize the 105-107 bullets easily. I have shot the 105 A-Max, 105 Berger, and the 107 Sierra in my rifle. The barrel likes them all equally as well, I just chose the thinner jacket bullet for the dramatic effect on groundhogs.

Never shot a .240 Wby, but I do love my .257 Wby Mag. It's about the perfect whitetail caliber when you mix it with the 110 Nosler Accubonds or 115 Berger VLD's.

Regarding blowups. I am shooting a 1 in 7.5 Bartlein 5R in 6mm-284 with 105 gr Berger hybrid. Velocity is 3445 fps with 28" barrel. Round count is just over 900 and no blow ups to date. No deterioration of accuracy but it is getting harder to clean.

I picked up (200) VIRGIN!!! 240 Weatherby at a estate sale and they all come in factory 20 round Weatherby boxes. I honestly thought they were once fired but when I got home, I noticed that they were nice and shiny inside the cases, every single one of them. The good news? I only paid $20.00. So I guess the brass is not hard for me to find?

Wow! Dude, you got a smokin deal!

If you come across some 7mmSTW, 7Mag, or .257 Wby mag for that cheap, holler at me!

Id like one too but sure arent going to buy one until i can come across enough brass to make it work. Even new brass right now is about impossible to find.

I am getting a .240 Weatherby Fibermark. What power scope would be best for this rifle? I am thinking along the lines of a 2.5-3.5 x 12 or 14 40mm or 42mm. What about a 3x9x40? Any comments/advice would be appreciated...Thx

That was from my I phone. Many many variable scopes out there. What is your budget ,I cvan point you in right direction. BTW I shoot a 6x284 which is in same boat as a 240 Weatherby .

old post i guess. Ive found one a 240 mark v standard thats a real good shooter. Shot 3 does at the same time with 3 shots at 400 yards last fall and all three were within 10 yards of where they stood when i recovered them. Bullet was a 85 grain partition.

Thanks again Iron Worker......I would like to keep within a $400-$500 budget for the scope for my .240 Weatherby. You said you have some recommendations; I would appreciate your input.....Gary O

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts