.240 Weatherby Info

Autorotate19

My dad has a brand new unfired weatherby deluxe in .240 that he got a few years ago and hes gonna let me take it out and get it set up for some long range coyote hunting. Who's got one and how do you like it? What powders do they like/ bullet combo. In my nosler manual the velocities look pretty impressive. Thanks

I'm sure Buffalobob will chime in here as I know he shoots one also.
I have a custom .240 with a 28" 9 tw barrel. I developed the load for it years ago, and my elderly father kills a few hundred ground hogs with it every year.
I have it shooting 105 Bergers with a stiff dose of RL22 and CCI BR2 primers. Velocity is 3380, which equates to a royal mess when copper meets mr. groundhog. I have taken ground hogs, fox, and coyote with it out to 1000 yards. I refuse to run the bore scope in it to see what the throat really looks like. :) When she goes south, I have plenty of fresh barrels to screw on and bring her back to life...

I know BB shoots the 115 gr Bergers with an 8 tw 30" barrel, and has taken a few Antelope with his at extended range.

Your rifle has a factory barrel and tons of freebore, so your velocity will certainly be different than ours.

I think it has a 1-10 twist. Hopefully it will stabilize the 95gr bergers. Im excited to get started. I ran the ballistics on it and it looks outstanding out to 600 yards. What kind of barrel like can I expect?

Barrel life predictions are always tough to make as there are many factors that come into play. It would be safe to say that it will be similar to any hot 6mm chambering.

In my new Wby barrel, it has a target leade which means I can jam my bullets. This helps accuracy but probably leads to shortened barrel life.

I had a while back a 1-10 twist barrel with standard freebore and it would not stabilize the 95 gr Bergers. They have a very short bearing surface and do not like a lot of freebore. I would suggest that perhaps you could get the 105 A-Max to stabilize better than the 95s.

I shot a lot of deer with the 85 grain Speer and Barnes X bullets in the old 10 twist barrel. In the new 8 twist barrel I shoot 115 Bergers and RL22.

The big problem with the new factory Wbys is that the barrel is only 24 inches long.

As Joel said, with high BC bullets the 240 Wby is a great 1000 yard rifle.

It has a 26 inch on it. I guess its more than a few years old. Probably fifteen. I won't bother with the bergers then. A max would be cool if they work. A little more explosive than the bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.