240 weatherby build/what barrell

jfloat

I've decided to build a 240 weatherby,I have a rem long action to use for the action.will be used for killin wolves,with 100 grain bergers,Question is what brand barrell and length? weight is not a factor,figure heavier the better.

The barrel manufacturer and choice of contour are all a matter of personal preference, can't help you there..

What I can help you with is the length and twist for the .240 Wby.

I have a custom .240 Wby that shoots the 105 gr bullets at 3380 fps under a stiff load of RL22. That's on the edge with these bullets. I haven't pulled them apart yet, but I know if I push them any faster they will fragment in the air.

No need to go any longer than 28", or twist it any sharper than a 9 twist.

Sorry I cant help you on your question, but why the 240 and not the 257 Weatherby. Is there an advantage to the 240 that I am not aware of?

I shoot both a custom 240 Wby and a custom 257 Wby. The 240 Wby is all you need for animals under 200# out to as far as you can hit them.

I use a 115 Berger in an 8 twist barrel and on a hot day or with a hot barrel I can get the bullets to blow up. Probably Joel is correct about a 9 twist being just right. You have your choice of some very good Berger or Sierra VLDs.

THANKS for the info Guys,when I get all my parts and peices and get it together I'll send some pics and targets with one hole :)

I built one for my wife and son to shoot about ten years ago. It has a 27" #4 Hart barrel on it. It is a one hole rifle at 100 yards. It will hold 1 1/2" at 400 yards. It is one of my best rifles. It is a very good rifle for your purpose. Weatherby brass just got so expensive we shoot the 240 gibbs more and the 243 AI. The gibbs is faster than the weatherby and the 243 AI a little slower. 25-06 brass and 243 brass way cheaper if you shoot a lot. The gibbs is the fastest you can go in a 6mm and have any sort of barrel life. I can get you some of my loads if you want to look at that one. I remember for varmints we were shooting the 70 grain nosler varmint bullets around 4100 fps out of a 28" barrel.

If it helps you any, I built my .240 on a "budget" most would say. I bought a Mcgowan barrel that was a #3 24" 1:8. my action is a Zastava m98. After doing my own work, trying the action, reaming the chamber ect.... After glass bedding and (a lot of) load development, I found that because of the weatherby free bore and the high velocities which it shoots, it WILL NOT print any Berger bullets under 1.5" at 100 yds.. (But I have a 300 wby mag that puts 210 burgers at .25" groups all day....?) anyway, I found that it shoots flat based bullets very very tight. I went with the slightly less accurate load (.41" @100) with 105 gr. A-Max. I'm pushing 3,307 fps with h-1000 but only get 5 reloads before showing signs of case-head separation...
Hope this helps, I'd just like to put in my input that buying a higher quality barrel would have probably saved me time and a lot of shooting... (Have a 7wsm with Proof research barrel that will shoot anything 1/4" @100)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.