240 Weatherby barrel for encore

Weatherby Hunter

I just got a 15" bullberry 240 weatherby barrel for my encore. Anyone had any experience with one or have any recommended loads? I know it's probably a odd setup but I ran across that a member here 7stdubberu has one so anything on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ernie : Yes it's basically a belted 6mm-06. Case body in front of the belt measure. 453 so it's a little smaller than 06. The problem I've run into is looking online there seems to be a lot of opnion on weatherby calibers being too much for the encore frame. I can understand the bigger H&H and 378 cased ones but can't see how the 240 being 06 sized would cause much trouble. I did ask the folks at Bullberry (before they changed owners) about some of this and was told the 240 was fine but just be sensible about loads.I'm a big weatherby fan so that's the main reason for having this setup.

Ernie : Yes it's basically a belted 6mm-06. Case body in front of the belt measure. 453 so it's a little smaller than 06. The problem I've run into is looking online there seems to be a lot of opinion on Weatherby calibers being too much for the encore frame. I can understand the bigger H&H and 378 cased ones but can't see how the 240 being 06 sized would cause much trouble. I did ask the folks at Bullberry (before they changed owners) about some of this and was told the 240 was fine but just be sensible about loads.I'm a big Weatherby fan so that's the main reason for having this setup.

This is one Weatherby cartridge that is NOT to big for the Encore. With a head size smaller than a 06 you are safe to enjoy it, like you would any of the 06 family of cases in the Encore.

This is one Weatherby cartridge that is NOT to big for the Encore. With a head size smaller than a 06 you are safe to enjoy it, like you would any of the 06 family of cases in the Encore.
Case head diameter is .473 on both the 240 wb and 30/06.

You've got to show us a video of you shooting that thing!!! With 06 powder charge in a 15" barrel, it's got to be a fire breathing dragon.

check out Mike Bellmtc.com You need a good trigger,hinge pin and the correct headspace,If you have all of that it should shoot just fine,The 240 is a cool round and I have had great luck with Hornady 100 sp or sst.good luck.

375 Chey-Tac rear-grip.

26 Nosler center-grip XP is the biggest case I have in a smaller caliber

Plus 20 BR, and 6mm-284

Sorry been muzzleloader hunting so haven't been checking in. Did give it a try (used starting level loads) seems to be pretty accurate low recoil and muzzle blast that's enough to make neighbors complain (there over a mile away). I'll try and get a video when I can get a chance to get her out again. Kevin0270 do you have the 240 in an encore? Any recommend loads?

I do not have the 240 wby in the encore but I do have it in a bolt gun.I have been shooting the encore for 20 years in a number of different calibers.Most of the Encore's I have had will shoot between .5 and 1.0 inch 3 shot groups.The powder charge has varried but I usually start at .020 from the lands and work up a power charge.Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.