240 wby mag loads

Bmccart

I've been searching and can't find much on where to start with the 115 gr Berger vld. My rifle is a series 2 vanguard with 24 inch barrel. Just looking for some info on where to start and what powder people have had the best luck with. I've currently got some vvn560, vvn165, imr4831, h1000 and 7828 that I think would work good. I did read of a guy loading some with h1000 but didn't have any data

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

You will have to do some interpolation/compare burning rates with what you have (R19 is between IMR 4831 and N550) and start low but my favorite load in 2 .240s was 54gr R19 behind any 90-95 gr bullets. Super accurate.

I have a guy in my church that has used the Mark V 240W with the 95 Partition for over 30yrs. Mule deer/big bull elk, no matter. You still have plenty of choices. Good luck Pard!

Do you have enough twist to run 115s?
I understand the Weebee runs them fast, but don't most factory rifles only have enough twist to stabilize the 95 VLD?

B, the 87 gr Berger VLD shoot best for me. I'm with therifleman, 115's are a bit heavy for the Vanguard twist although the 95 gr. Classic Hunter should work.

I know it likes the 95 gr nosler ballistic tips pretty well. I have some of the 95 gr vld also. I might try the 115 out and see how they shoot

Lol that would be nice...but I bought them so I might as well try them out. I've had weirder things happen than if they do shoot good.

Lol that would be nice...but I bought them so I might as well try them out. I've had weirder things happen than if they do shoot good.
The other piece is that marginal stability can help the bullet tumble in game and not open properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.