240 WBY-105g HPBT- RL26-300y ladder results

remingtonman_25_06

Learned a lot today with RL26, it goes from ZERO to HERO real quick. Aside from velocity, no other pressures appeared. Anyway, think I'll concentrate on the 2 velocity nodes around 53.5 and 54.5. Load 5 each check accuracy/ES and then take the better 1 of those and do a few different seating depths. Shes getting there. If I can get sub 2" groups at 300 yards at 3300fps I'll be happy!

20200811_092054.jpg
Snapchat-1039860618.jpg

I have never had rl26 act like that, but I have never loaded it in a 240 wby either. But in several 7 mags, a .260ai, a few 6.5 cm's, a few 6.5x284's, A .264 wm, a couple .270 Shermans, a .270, and two .338 Norma mags it acted rather predictable with normal pressure signs appearing as you got up there. However the improved chamberings move up faster, I think it's because they hide pressure better, soon as you see that first ejector mark you better slow your roll. Wonder if there was something else? Maybe accidentally loaded 57.5 instead of 55.7......I have made a mistake like that before. It does show a linear increase in velocity though. All I can say is be careful.

If that is the case and 55.7 blew a primer, I would give myself more of a buffer than 1 grain and 40 fps from blown primers. A hot day, ammo sitting in the sun in your truck, a warm/hot barrel, or many other factors can easily spike 40 fps or more. Personally, I would explore the lower node, just under 3300 fps. 2+ grains and 100+ fps is a little happier saftey margin from blown primers for me personally. Plus your expensive brass will last longer.

Last edited:
Codyadams- You make a very valid point on the higher node only being 1g and 40fps from popping primers. I did think of that as well. I double checked all these, once on the digital scale, and finally the balance beam. Theres no way 57.5 was mistakenly loaded. It would have done a lot more than just pop a primer at that point. I think you're right about just exploring the lower node area at 53.5g just below 3300fps. That would give me a 2.2g and tad over 100fps cushion. Ill just load up 53.3 and 53.6 and check groups/ES then take the better of those 2 and do a few seating depths.

Codyadams- You make a very valid point on the higher node only being 1g and 40fps from popping primers. I did think of that as well. I double checked all these, once on the digital scale, and finally the balance beam. Theres no way 57.5 was mistakenly loaded. It would have done a lot more than just pop a primer at that point. I think you're right about just exploring the lower node area at 53.5g just below 3300fps. That would give me a 2.2g and tad over 100fps cushion. Ill just load up 53.3 and 53.6 and check groups/ES then take the better of those 2 and do a few seating depths.
Sounds like a good plan. Ya from looking at your velocities, it really doesn't seem like an accidental high charge or something, the velocities are very linear. The time I had an issue, velocity went from jumping 30 fps or so at a time up to 120 fps jump, and pronounced ejector swipe and heavy bolt lift, and went through my data and saw what I did. I bet you will find something good at that lower node, and 3275 or so is still fantastic performance.

Heres the results from 53.5g at .005" to .030" off the lands. Got a little better accuracy the shorter I went. So I may try a few more deeper and see if I can break into the 1"-2" range. May try a CCI250 as well instead of the WLRs just to see what a primer swap does. If none of that works, I'll try some H4831 or H1000.
Snapchat-565033780.jpg

Last edited:
Once you get the best seating depth figured out you might want to hunt up and down from the 53.5 load by 0.1-0.2 grain steps from 53.1 to 53.8. You might be surprised by even better groups. I might wait on the primer swaps until the seating and optimum charge are figured out before, so you can evaluate each change and its effect.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.