240 page super pooper??

happylilcuss

A local smith around here suggest I go with a 240 page super pooper rather than a 243ai.. I did some research and I really agree with his logic. My question is, if it is a really great round why has it not cought on very well?

A local smith around here suggest I go with a 240 page super pooper rather than a 243ai.. I did some research and I really agree with his logic. My question is, if it is a really great round why has it not cought on very well?

In Speer wildcat manual #4 published 1959 they did a write up on the 240 Page Super Pooper also the 243 Rockchucker which gave better velocity than the 240PSP used alittle more powder also. The 240PSP would get 3350fps with 90gr bullets the 243 Rockchucker would get 3480fps same bullet

This is just me but if your going to do something off the 6Rem case do a 6RemAI you will get more case capacity than with the 240PSP. I've got two of them both with 1/10 twist barrel. For many years I shot the standard 243 still have my first 243 that I got new in 1965 been rebarrel a bunch times. Couple years ago I had a 243AI build used a 1/10 twist barrel great caliber. I'm not much into VLD bullets got a 6.5x284 that takes care of my need's for a VLD bullet.

When I lived in Calif I used to go up to Huntington shop/store was fun listening to him talk about his wildcat calibers. One problem the 240PSP could of been the best caliber going back in time same with most wildcats just didn't have the internet and I think things were more regional. Well good luck

In Speer wildcat manual #4 published 1959 they did a write up on the 240 Page Super Pooper also the 243 Rockchucker which gave better velocity than the 240PSP used alittle more powder also. The 240PSP would get 3350fps with 90gr bullets the 243 Rockchucker would get 3480fps same bullet

Thanks for the info Tom. Sounds like you are a true 6mm fan. Gotta love that.. I was all about the 22-250 till I did some hard research and discovered the 6mm. I started going big and now am heading to the small cal rounds. However The research I have done shows me:

Quoted from another site "The Speer Manual No. 4 (or so presented in my copy of Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges, by Ken Howell) has the 240 PSP as formed on the .308 Winchester, and that is wrong, as Ray said. It would be based on the 7mm Mauser -- whether made from that case, the Roberts case, or the .244 Remington would depend on just what it's origin date was."
I Have read on a number of other forums where they show many many inconsistencies in the speer manual so I will take info from it with a grain of salt.
I like the performance of this round for its "class" of 6mm rounds. by "class I mean smaller than a 284 but larger than a 243win. " I like the looks of the 28* shoulder on the psp as well. Getting into the 6x284 or the 06 off shoots to me is a little overkill. I like the smaller less recoil, fairly long barrel life, and still long range smack this offers.. Its a no brainer that if you shoot a 6 rockchucker or 243 ai, or 6mmX47 that you will argue till the cows come home why its the best. In reality no one has yet showed me how one is massivley superior to the others. I think that the lack of internet makes sense.. Also I feel that a lack of political correctness on warren page's part might have sunk his 240psp.. Both rem and win went different directions yet still very close to his original stuff.

Sorry for the rant. also I am not dead set on which cal I am going to have built yet.. Just searching for opinions and facts prior to making a decision.

Thanks for the info Tom. Sounds like you are a true 6mm fan. Gotta love that.. I was all about the 22-250 till I did some hard research and discovered the 6mm. I started going big and now am heading to the small cal rounds. However The research I have done shows me:

Quoted from another site "The Speer Manual No. 4 (or so presented in my copy of Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges, by Ken Howell) has the 240 PSP as formed on the .308 Winchester, and that is wrong, as Ray said. It would be based on the 7mm Mauser -- whether made from that case, the Roberts case, or the .244 Remington would depend on just what it's origin date was."
I Have read on a number of other forums where they show many many inconsistencies in the speer manual so I will take info from it with a grain of salt.
I like the performance of this round for its "class" of 6mm rounds. by "class I mean smaller than a 284 but larger than a 243win. " I like the looks of the 28* shoulder on the psp as well. Getting into the 6x284 or the 06 off shoots to me is a little overkill. I like the smaller less recoil, fairly long barrel life, and still long range smack this offers.. Its a no brainer that if you shoot a 6 rockchucker or 243 ai, or 6mmX47 that you will argue till the cows come home why its the best. In reality no one has yet showed me how one is massivley superior to the others. I think that the lack of internet makes sense.. Also I feel that a lack of political correctness on warren page's part might have sunk his 240psp.. Both rem and win went different directions yet still very close to his original stuff.

Sorry for the rant. also I am not dead set on which cal I am going to have built yet.. Just searching for opinions and facts prior to making a decision.

As to the inconsistence of the Speer manual. My first wildcat was a 7x57AI got my loading data from #4 and they also have 244 IMP with 30degree shoulders. One problem you run into is what was used back in the 50's may not work today plus today we have the so called interenet experts. Alot of those so called experts forget to read the fine print that tells what barrel twist/length and who's barrel they using plus it good for the ego to claim they know this or that.

Case you need to look at is the plain old 6Rem that case is about as close to the orginal 240PSP without forming and I think that is what killed the 240PSP IMHO. The orginal 240PSP had 27 degree shoulders the 6Rem has 26. There is different version off the 240PSP I'm just going of the drawing in Speer manual.

What you need to do is see if your gunsmith has a fired cases for his reamer or print ask how cases are formed etc and see if that something you want to do.

Last edited:
Tom I really thank you for your info and help.. The so called experts and interenet heroes are the reason I am here and asking so many questions.
I am not going to be shooting bench rest and and therefore I dont need every last tiny bit out of a cartridge. Now from the info I am getting from you it seems that just staying with a factory 6mm rem would be dang near the equivelent of the psp and less work since I can get factory brass and not have to fireform.. hmm. Well this journey began because I have a shotout 22-250 and I want something with somewhat comperable recoil that can really reach out there.. Plus I want to start shooting paper at 1000 at the local club.

I have been told that the 243I is the way to go then other say that the 6x47, and other have said the 6x284.. I think I am set on a 6mm round but I want something that can really make shooting 1000 as bullet proof as I can get. I mean I can get vld bullets with a bc of .552 for the 22-250 and I have shot it out to 1000 but I would like a little more poop. It almost seems to me that staying with the factory 243 or 6mm rem with a match barrel and the correct twist is the best way to go.. If I could get a tikka super varminter in 243 I think I would have what I want and not have to fireform..
Again thanks for your awesome help.
Dusty

Dusty, I think it was Fiftydriver that mention a 6x22-250 (6x250) to someone awhile back. I just picked up 2009 Hodgdon manual and they have loading data for the 6x250 using 1/8 twist barrel or you could do a 6x250AI.

About 20yrs ago I decided I want to shoot 1000yd first was a 6x284 then a 6Br good thing I didn't build a full blown match rifle I just didn't like it VLD were all that great back then. Today you have the best 6mm bullets good barrels/brass and good gunsmith here on this site that can build a LR rifle.

I'm not knocking your gunsmith but if you want to build a LR rifle go to the gunsmith that build them. My gunsmith builds a great hunting/varmit rifle for me but my 6.5x284 was build by someone else.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.