240 gr sierra bullet w/ what case?

nelsonic

I would like to use the sierra 240 gr bullet since it has a b.c. of .711! What case should I be looking at? ultra mag, weatherby-mag? WSM? This rifle is to be used for 1000yd competition...thanks

Nelsonic

You can either go with the standard weatherby case or the improved such as the 300 ack Imp.

If this is for 1k BR, then the 300 ack is one of the best cartridges to go with. Not many shooting the 240s now, almost all use the 210 JLK, Berger or 216 Clinch River. Some are using the 187 Bibs bullets in 12 and 13 twist barrels and running 3250-3450 fps.

If you want to shoot the 240s stay with the 10 twist do not go to the 9 twist.

300 Ack Imp and 210s you can go with 11 twist.

300 WSM needs 1-11 twist and tops out for 1k with the 210s at around 3000 fps in 30" barrels. I have shot the WSM for last 3 yrs in both light and heavy gun.

Would recommend the Broughton 5C barrel, Python action in right bolt dual port ($950 with trigger guard and tapered scope rings). That action is big enough to handle a 30" barrel.

Keep in mind the weight as it is critical. I just built a python (43oz)light gun with Broughton 30" 7S profile in 12 twist for Bibs, tapered to .940 at muzzle, fluted (6 deep ones that took off 1 lb) and brake. Bruce Baer laminated stock (4.5 lbs with 4 clear coats). This set up will allow me to make PA weight rules 16.5 lbs with a 1" scope and have about 1/2 lb left over. Rig is balanced perfectly for 1k work.

300 ack has standard dies from redding. Strongly suggest you buy your own reamer from Pacific Tool and Dave Kiff for $135. Too many variations on 300 acks.

Jim Carstenson at JLC precision will make you a custom FL size die for right at $100. See his article on www.6mmbr.com.

BH

RUM would be my choice for a 240 cannon.

the wby will do 2800, but the RUM will top 3000.

Might as well get the most out of that bullet (i.e. 3000fps)

If you have to make weight the python is tough cause it has a fat shank.

BH--you need a 1.350 shank to get a good shoulder on the threads right?

JB

JB

Python will easily take a 1.25" barrel. In fact I have a 14.6 lb light gun with a 4.5 lb Baer laminated thumbhole stock and 30" barrel on a Python action.

In my opinion Python is great action. Has large bedding area larger and deeper tenon for barrel and is relatively light compared to other big actions. Comes in R or L bolt, either port or dual port, with 20 MOA tapered rings and all for $950. That is $400 less than BAT, but I love my BAT too.

In 1k BR, max MV is not required. Would gladly drop 150 fps for Norma brass versus Remington. That is "no brainer" in my book, but some guys love sorting and prepping brass. To each his own.

BH

BH -- mark informed me of the bigger threads and small shoulder left with a 1.250 shank. might not be a problem, just not ideal in his eyes. Likes more of a shoulder i guess.

its a 1.125 thread right? on a 1.250 barrel.

JB

I wish to thank you all for the replies to my question...I'm really looking foward to putting this together...again, Thanks Nelsonic

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.