24" 33Nosler or RUM

700Sendero

Anyone have any real world velocity for these 2 out of a 24" barrel? I have a Sendero 300 RUM in need of a new barrel and im trying to decide between these 2. Thinking of going with a Bartlein carbon 9.5 twist. Probably wont shoot anything over 265Gr., more likely 225-250s. Mostly hunt deer in MO, so I dont really need either, but everybody needs a big .338 dont they?

my 26" 338 edge shoots 3K fps with a 260 gr hammer w/n570.
For the bullet weights you're trying to shoot, it's a coin flip on which one to build.
Maybe let brass availability determine the build cartridge. If you have 300 rum brass, making the 338 edge only requires a simple neck sizing.

I have a 25" heavy barrel.on my 300 Rum .
It sends the 230 bergers at 3036 ft.per.sec with Nv570. Sd-1 & Es-4 they are single feed @ 15 thou.off
It was built from parts of LRH just to shoot a Milk Jug at a Mile !
It has a brake installed too .
Hope this helps you !

Rum Man

I had considered going with an Edge, but id like to keep it to 3.6 in the factory mag box. Ive been single feeding my 300 with 215s, cause it has a looooong throat, and im just ready to get back to feeding from the box. If i went edge, id be tempted to go with the heavies again and might end up back where i started with single feeding. I guess brass availability/quality is a factor too, but only until i get a couple hundred. This will be a hunting gun, so they should last quite awhile.

If your serious go to the 338 Edge , hands down my favorite. Easy to load for , I use Remington brass and 300 gr .bergers with H-1000. All of my Edges are long barrels , 29 to 30 " plus brake . Everyone are single feed . If I do my part ..one is all I need !

Rum Man

I got 2950 from a 23 1/2" 300 RUM with 230s and 100 gr of RL-33. That was when RL-33 first came out. Since then I toned it down some using H-1000 and find the 8 1/2 lb rifle must more comfortable to shoot.

The barrel was a 24" 300 win mag Rem takeoff I rechambered to fit a push feed model 70 that is why it is so short.

What about having a Wyatt's box installed?
Unless you are doing a Remage. Your smith has the barrel off anyway. Why not give him an extra $100 to build it right. I think you would then be able to make up for the velocity you lose with the shorter barrel.
I believe the mag box will work with the old Rem bottom metal, but not sure.

Im not opposed to going with a Wyatts box. I like the idea of a 338 RUM loaded long with the 250s. That would give me a little more horsepower if i wanted to go to 285s. Recoil also is a slight consideration, but i dont think there would be enough difference in the 2 to make a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.