230grn Berger out of a 300 RUM

Wachsmann

I just ran across some of the 230grn bergers the other day and bought some. Would like to hear what others are loading these at. So maybe this can help out others and myself as well.

Powder...?
Primer...?
case trim length...?
COAL...?
Ogive length of loaded cartridge if possible...?
Seated in the lands or seated xyz out of the lands...?
Barrel length...?
Velocity...?
Know max charge where you seen pressure issues...? ( I know this will be different for each rifle).

Thanks to anyone that post...gun)

Here's what my recipe is, caution this is far from a factory RUM and you'll need to find your own pressure threshold for the powder:

230 Hybrid
32" Broughton 5C
Custom Throating
COAL 3.830"
Trim Length 2.835"
Fed 215 GM Match primers
Remington brass, neck turned and a very minimal full length sizing
101.5 grains of RL33 and around 97% load density
3,250fps

I would expect a factory RUM to run around 3000fps with RL33

.820" overall length throat. .500" straight and then .320" leade. Diameter is .3084". Great for speed, no loss of accuracy due to match diameter. Many doubted that this would work but it has exceeded my expectations.
I don't understand what you mean by ".500" straight an then .320" leade". The straight part is called the leade or freebore. Do you mean you have .500" of freebore and a .75° throat angle?

Here's what my recipe is, caution this is far from a factory RUM and you'll need to find your own pressure threshold for the powder:

230 Hybrid
32" Broughton 5C
Custom Throating
COAL 3.830"
Trim Length 2.835"
Fed 215 GM Match primers
Remington brass, neck turned and a very minimal full length sizing
101.5 grains of RL33 and around 97% load density
3,250fps

I would expect a factory RUM to run around 3000fps with RL33

In my factory lh bdl 300rum I am at 3000fps at 95 grains rl33 , 225 hdy hpbt, 215, rem brass... 3.650" oal. It's a bit lower charge than some of the custom guys are burning and mild enough in my rifle I could go up a bit, but why beat up your gear for 50-100 fps.

I don't understand what you mean by ".500" straight an then .320" leade". The straight part is called the leade or freebore. Do you mean you have .500" of freebore and a .75° throat angle?

I could have my terminology wrong but my understanding is that the leade is the portion that starts at the end of the straight portion of throat and tapers on out to the full I.D. dimension of the rifling. Either way, the straight portion is .500" and the tapered portion is .320" to make a total of .820".

Tumbleweed....
First I'd like to say thanks for posting and that's really impressive with the 230 grain bergers for velocity but it is custom gun and longer barrel so it going to get more velocity but that is really freaking aswome. Its like having a 300 RUM on crack :D. I been fooling around with the 210's but picked up the box of 230's and will be test driving them hopefully soon. I have a factory Remington sendero. Its been beaded and the trigger tuned and braked. It pretty mild to shoot with the brake on it now. So I'll have to see what I can get out of my factory barrel using some retumbo. I'm getting low on the retumbo so I can't test drive a lot. I've been reading the other post and might try some ladder testing as what was done in the other post on the Remington from Phoenix arms...seem like some good data. Thanks for the post.

If you have a repeater hunting rifle, why not just seat a bullet to fit and feed from YOUR magazine that doesn't have the bullet into the rifling?

Trim length? refer to loading book. If you take the time to find the end of your chamber you may find you won't need to trim for several firings. Depends....to find out how to do this read Varmint Al's tutorial: Varmint Al's Handloading/Reloading Page
You can make your own "plugs" or buy them at Sinclair

My load data: 100 gr of RL-33, 230 gr hybrid, Fed 215 primer. Barrel length 24" (rechambered rem takeoff formerly 300 win mag) velocity 2975 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.