2300 Yds. A Very Humbling Experience.

mdslammer

I was out a few days back with some buds. We tried out luck at 2300 yds.
For me, not too good. 1 out of 30. But, I did learn a few things and look
forward to the next challenge at this distance.

MDslammer

[ame]https://vimeo.com/52593710[/ame]

Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking time to view and the positive words. It was a good learning
experience despite my poor marksmenship.

Just picking up the 2'x3' silhouette (which had an orange 8" square centered) at that distance was a challenge. I kept my NF scope on 17-18 power to deal
with the mirage.

Wind was very easy so that was in our favor. Still new to shooting anything from a mile on out. Plus I just started to reload for my .338 a few months back.
Still tweaking with the loads.

Best.

Mark

Get those bipod feet off of the mat and onto the ground.!!!! Or Broz is gonna come down there and hutch.:D

What camera/lens combination were used. Quite impressive. Great editing.

The black rig the fella in the red Tee shirt was shooting has some bodashious barrel whip, or it was the bipod feet sinking into the shooting mat??

Nice work all the way around.

Get those bipod feet off of the mat and onto the ground.!!!! Or Broz is gonna come down there and hutch.:D

What camera/lens combination were used. Quite impressive. Great editing.

The black rig the fella in the red Tee shirt was shooting has some bodashious barrel whip, or it was the bipod feet sinking into the shooting mat??

Nice work all the way around.

Cameras:
1 Go Pro Hero 2
2 Panasonic HD Handy Cams: HDC-SD80 (42X Zoom) / HDC-SD60 (35X Zoom)
1 Panasonic HPX-170

Go Pro used for mobile shots
1 Handy Cam is used for my Target Camera Setup which is framed ECU on the target only
The second Handy Cam was framed MS on the target and area around it to
show the misses.
The HPX-170 was POV/OTS from the shooter, CU and ECU of the shooter and any LS for surrounding topography.

I use Premiere Pro CS5 as my editing suite.

I'm the shooter in the Red T-Shirt. My rifle is a .338 Lapua Magnum. Yes, it does have a kick even with the break. I do have a lock on my bi-pod. And the reason it's not on the dirt is because of the serious amount of gas emitted side to side from the break. I have another packing blanket positioned to deal with that. In addition, there is a bubble on my NF Scope which I check each time to make sure my rifle is level horizontally before each round is fired.

If you're interested, here's a link that has some pics of my target cam setup as well. It sends a video signal from the transmitter to the receiver back 2300 yds. The image is projected on my monitor in real time. No delay. Great for seeing exactly where your hits land on the steel.

Mark Dalzell

Thanks for taking time to view and your kind words.

Mark

Get those bipod feet off of the mat and onto the ground.!!!! Or Broz is gonna come down there and hutch.
I saw that Roy. Anyone that does not believe it I invite to shoot two groups at 300 or 500 yards. One with all the padding under the bipod and rear bag and one with the pod securely dug in and the rear bag solid on the ground. It was huge with my groups.

MD, great video and great shooting to all of you. That is a long ways and having done it many times I know what it takes. Good job.

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Get those bipod feet off of the mat and onto the ground.!!!! Or Broz is gonna come down there and hutch.
I saw that Roy. Anyone that does not believe it I invite to shoot two groups at 300 or 500 yards. One with all the padding under the bipod and rear bag and one with the pod securely dug in and the esr bag solid on the ground. It was huge with my groups.

MD, great video and great shooting to all of you. That is a long ways and having done it many times I know what it takes. Good job.

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement and taking time to view.

Where'd that word "hutch" come from. I'm confident I typed "hurtchcah. Hey, I just did and it automatically changed to "hutch". Wow! another modern day feature.:rolleyes:

Again, great video quality and editing.

The whip on your rifle I mentioned: it appears to whip like a wet noodle. :):)

ALso, I'm interested!! big time in the wireless equipment i.e, Rx/Tx/antenna models etc.

I'm mostly a rock shooter and video the shots but want to move towards accurate portrayal at ELR.

I've been researching wireless equipment for quite awhile and am about to bite the bullet and desire to not bite the wrong one.:)

Where'd that word "hutch" come from. I'm confident I typed "hurtchcah. Hey, I just did and it automatically changed to "hutch". Wow! another modern day feature.:rolleyes:

Again, great video quality and editing.

The whip on your rifle I mentioned: it appears to whip like a wet noodle. :):)

ALso, I'm interested!! big time in the wireless equipment i.e, Rx/Tx/antenna models etc.

I'm mostly a rock shooter and video the shots but want to move towards accurate portrayal at ELR.

I've been researching wireless equipment for quite awhile and am about to bite the bullet and desire to not bite the wrong one.:)

Roy,

There are a few Target Camera Systems available. You can use Google to get
started. Here's a link to a ready to go system:
*target-sight - Target Camera

This is good out to 1000 yds. The company owner had suggested an additional antenna that would get me more distance. However, after doing more research, it turned out that the antenna that he suggested wasn't the best choice.

His was an 8" squared antenna that over a period of extreme distance speads
too much. So I went with the antenna you see in the pics I posted of my setup. It has a much more narrow/direct signal that stays strong out to 2+ miles I'm told.

Anyway, I based my system off the target sight setup except my T/R
(Transmitter/Receiver) is analog not digital. There's a slight delay in digital. Very slight but a little.

I had some of the other components like my Panasonic Camcorder HDC-SD60 (35x zoom), a tripod and a monitor. I did some research and found a place here in Las Vegas, NV that actually sells the guy the parts he puts the system together with. Crazy huh!

Anyway, the T/R cost me $269.00, Batteries and charger for the T/A $120.00.
I used a couple of C-Stands to put the two shelves that hold both T/A and get them up 10' in the air for a stronger/clearer signal.

If you need any other info, let me know. Good luck.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the details.

Though I've removed "tinkeritus" from my reloading and shooting it still lingers in a major way with data. :rolleyes: Delay between digital and analog? Hmmmmmm.

What I want to add to the visibility of hits etc is a time measurement from muzzle to target. A piezo impact sensor at the target with the impact spike sent back to a processor compared to the muzzle exit time should provide interesting information. An Arduino/Phidget or some other processor would do the job. At 1K and beyond millisecond measurement may well be good enough. Microsec would be better.

Again thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.