230 Hybrids vs OTM's , any difference on Game?

The 230 hybrid target were obtainable so I worked with them. I killed two elk kills to date.

Cow at 250 through both shoulders DRT. (high scapula shot) Bullet exited with 2" diameter exit. Muzzle velocity with RL-33 was 2975 fps

Bull: 6 x 6 came out to look in my direction quartering slightly towards me at 156 yds, head was left and butt to right. Entrance through inner part of his left shoulder exited 8" behind his right shoulder, exit hole 2". Missed heart but got both lungs. He turned at the shot and went back behind the juniper. Then a loud crash of broken limbs. Dropped within 5 seconds. Muzzle velocity with H-1000 was 2800 fps which I like due to reduced recoil with this 8 1/2 lb rifle. Getting old I guess.

I watched a buddy shoot a cow elk @ 300 yd broadside with his 300 WSM using the same bullet. Vel was 2735 at muzzle. She staggered for 5 seconds and collapsed.

I like the performance with the hybrid target. So does this guy:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/230gr-berger-used-in-africa-with-success.138852/

I have bee using the 230 Hybrid target for about 4 years. I killed a big bull at 833 yards. Shot in crease behind shoulder, his hind end dropped and he stood back up, spun around the tree and dropped. Muzzle velocity was 3120, 8000' ASL. My son pummeled a muley at 560 last year with it as well. Velocity was 3020 this time at same elevation. Approx 1.5" exits. My buddy shot a whitetail at 200 yards with 2960 Velocity, behind shoulder, about 2" exit, 2' wide blood trail. They do not seem as expansive as the HVLDS, but plenty to get the job done.

The 230 Hybrid target and OTM have the same jacket thickness, so theoretically the terminal performance should be similar. The unknown is how the difference in shape affects terminal performance. The longer nose of the Hybrid may be more conducive to faster expansion.

For me, it would come down to intended use. If I need a rifle to operate as a repeater, I would choose the OTM. Otherwise, I'd choose the Hybrid target for the BC advantage, slight as it may be.

I've taken 3 elk and 2 mule deer with the 230 OTM out of an 8 twist 300 WM running 2850fps. On a broadside deer at 155 yards it left an exit hole you could put your hand into without getting it bloody. A cow elk at 350 quartering away entered through the last rib and was recovered under the skin through the shoulder on the other side, didn't take a step. Cow elk at 795 yards broadside, hit 2nd rib from the front, found under the skin directly across. Both lungs completely destroyed. Fell in her tracks before I even heard the bullet hit her. Didn't even take a step. Nothing has made it more than 5 yards with that combo.

Mag length won't be an issue, this will be in a DESERT Tech 8 twist 300 Norma, plenty of room in the magazine

I run the 230 Hybrid @ 3068 in my .300RUM. Nothing has stood up to them. From elk @ 70 yards to coyote @ 1365 yards....even squirrel @ 1201 yards.

What load are you using to acheive 3068fps in the .300RUM? I don't have a chrony yet but I'm getting best groups(.205) with 85.5 Retumbo.

Okay, I've just got a 26" and I guess I'll have to work up to whatever your load was and figure it out. Can you say if you're near 90 grains? And what powder?

230 otm and 230 hybrid with cci250 primer are around 3100 fps with 90grains of H1000.
They are 3120 with 90gr of retumbo
30 inch hart. I would not try these loads in your gun. Start in the book and go from there. Either way The hybrid 230 has been on ground squirrels to antelope, deer, cow, and bull elk. The furthest big game was a deer around 200lbs at 904 = bang flop. furthest bull was 680yds and pass through the crease took out the heart and golf ball exit the other side after breaking ribs. I shot a cow at 600 yds straight on through the chest and it traveled up and exited behind the shoulder on top near the spine. It left the jacket in the hide but the lead exited. Shot a big black bear at 200 yds bang flop golf ball exit. Shot a doe at 400 yds in the shoulder and chunks flew in the air. Shot a nice heavy mule deer at 680 and the entrance was golf ball and beer can exit through the shoulders. I have not shot any game with the otm yet. I shot a cow elk at 70 yds through the neck and golf ball in and beer can out. The hybrid target have anchored everything with no issue even on poor shot placement. Nerve damage is tremendous

I've been using the 230 OTM in two of my rifles with great effect. One 30/338 win at 2,740 FPS and a little old 30/06 at 2430 FPS. They have accounted for the last 14 whitetail deer I've taken from less than 50 yards with the 30/338 out to 714 with the 30/06. None have made it further than ten yards. I recently took a 188# wild boar at 433 yards broadside with my 30/06 that spun two circles and succumbed with a baseball size exit wound.
Seating depth doesn't make much difference in accuracy in either rifle. I run both rifles as repeaters since they are hunting weapons. I can get a bit more velocity if I load longer, but I give away any chance at a follow-up shot. Not that I've ever needed one though.

H1000 behind 230 OTM 2840 FPS out of my 300 WM have given me DRT kills on antelope, mulley's and bull elk. Call it heavy but I use it on every thing paper steel and game animals. It flies true Super - Trans and subsonic. if you load it right it flies right.
O yea and it hits hard.