230 Hybrid Load in .300 Win Mag

BigBboy25

Did some load testing with the 230 and 215 Berger Hybrid's yesterday with H1000 and H4831 SC at 230 yards. Most the groups were were MOA or just under. I plan on boosting the charge a little bit on a few that showed promise as all the loads were really light. One group shot very well though, I've attached an image of it. It was 67.0 grins of H4831 SC w/ 3.600" OAL in my custom .300 win mag. It o\put four in one hole and the shot that's out was shot number three. It makes the group just over an inch. Not sure what my Velocity was as my chronograph wasn't working. I tried Broz 73.0 grains of H1000 and it shot MOA, I'll play with it some more and see what I get. Hoping to get a load worked up for the 215 Hybrids soon.

Attachments

• 230 Hybrid.jpg
    230 Hybrid.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 134
I measured to the case of the bullet. I don't have an Ogive comparator for .30 cal. Besides Berger's are so consistent you don't need one, my variation in OAL was +0.003" - 0.

These bullets are actually 0.065" off the rifling. They have a very long ogive. I chose 3.600" because it's the longest I can seat them and still feed them through my magazine.

I measured to the case of the bullet. I don't have an Ogive comparator for .30 cal. Besides Berger's are so consistent you don't need one, my variation in OAL was +0.003" - 0.

These bullets are actually 0.065" off the rifling. They have a very long ogive. I chose 3.600" because it's the longest I can seat them and still feed them through my magazine.
That's within the length of the standard BDL long action which I was hoping was the case. I intend to try the 210 myself but want to use the standard mag as opposed to having to feed them as a single action. The longest I've used so far is the 190 Bergers which fit into my standard BDL mag. Seating them to .005 is the max I want to seat them off the lands so it seems the 210 will fit my limits. Thanks.

If it's any help to you, I'm working on a 230 Hybrid Target bullet load in my 300 RUM right now. I initially started load work up at .020 jump with unsatisfactory results and then moved out to .050 jump with really no change in accuracy. I went back to the bread and butter in this rifle which is touching the rifling. My current 210VLD load is touching and produces less than .5 MOA usually. With the new bullets loaded to just barely touch the rifling the groups immediately shrank almost in half. A nice side effect was the pressure signs on the case actually decreased as well. I have a Wyatt's box so the cartridges still fit in the mag at this COAL of 3.837". A little more charge tweaking and I should have it. Hope this may help.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.