230 grain berger otc ????????

I dont know . I had 2 work over today . I will check it as soon as I can.

BIGBUCK when i put that card in camera i had took it out of the camera at the club the last day we shot and hadent checked it when u look at it check out the nice bucks.gun)

I am shooting the 230 open tip match out my 300 rum and so far they have been outstanding. I am a little surprised on the fps as I have not shot over a chronograph, but I have the Kestrel w/Horus and so I zeroed at 100, trued at 500 and verified at 1014 and was spot on but as I input the bc according to what berger published on these and then adjusted the muzzle velocity on the kestrel to match my elev. adjustment it came up with 3217 fps, sounds fast to me but the calls from the kestrel is putting me right on the button so its probably right I guess. These bullets drilled clean through my 1/4" steel target at 1014 and also at this distance I was shooting 4 shot groups and had one group stack three practically in the same hole and on another 4 shot group I put 2 in one, the rest were within 3 to 6 inches of these. I am loading 89.3 gr. of retumbo with the fed. mag. match primers and seating them .010 off the lands using nosler brass. I also have the 215 target hybrids but haven't tried them yet as I prefer to utilize a heavier grain bullet with this big of a cartridge, but I'm sure they're wicked too.

@lrdevil- will you post the specs of your rifle please? barrel brand, length, ext., custom, trued,.....thanks!

I built my 300 Ultra on a Surgeon 1086 action with a 28" Brux 1 in 10 Barrel with a .330 neck, it sits in the Bell and Carlson A5 Stock with the Wyatts XL bottom metal and a Shilen trigger. Its topped with a Schmidt and Bender 3-20x50 PMll with the H-37 reticle in FFP and mounted in the Larue LT 111 QD mounts. This is my first custom build and because of the tight neck and having to turn the necks of my brass I kinda didn't do that great of a job on my first round of remington brass so I decided to start over with a little better brass (Nosler), I turned them down to .010 neck wall thickness in 3 separate passes and that made a big difference in consistent neck wall thickness and I believe it also made a big contribution to the grouping I was getting and thats that I was in the process of fire forming the brass. So far its looking good.

This is a pretty accurate load, as I mentioned though I was incorrect about the velocity, I am actually right at about 3085, still not bad for 230s. Ya mero the 6.5-06 dw.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.