230 grain Berger or 210 grain Sierra?

Lazerus

I have got a 300 winchester Mag sporting a 27 inch Lilja that is capable of very good accuracy, (for whatever reason this gun has high barrel speed). It have been putting out 180 grainers at 3267. It has been putting out the 210 grain Sierra's 2943. I am pretty sure I can get about 28 with the 230 grain Berger, the main difference is 719 BC for the Berger and 645 for the Sierra. Anybody got any ideas on which would be a better long range bullet for this gun?

Anybody got any ideas on which would be a better long range bullet for this gun?

Run the numbers on both the 210 and the 230. You will find by 1000 yards the 230 will be the faster bullet, the BC speaks for itself with less drift. I have run 230's and 210's from the same 300 win that belongs to my son. We now only shoot the 230's now and it has been a long range killing machine.

Jeff

I strongly second that. The 230 OTM is my choice as well. I'm getting mid 2700's from my 26" 30/338 win mag. Accuracy was by far the easiest to find of any bullet I've tried in any of my rifles. Seating depth didn't seem to be a factor at all from jammed to .010" off all shot better than 3/4 MOA consistently. I tried jammed, .005" off and .010" off the lands. All looked the same on paper. I've only been out to 600 with my rig so far. Broz can tell you all about how it runs at further distances. It is the easiest bullet to work with I've ever loaded and performs lights out, DRT on every deer I've sent it to meet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts