230 Gr. Berger OTM's on game!

John-Pure Precision

LRH Sponsor
Here is my 2012 Colorado 4th season buck. The deer was shot at 336 yards with a 230 gr. Berger OTM out of my 300 win traveling at 2710 fps. I developed this load after reading Broz's results on game. This load was easy to tune and is shooting sub .5 MOA validated out to 805 yards. Shot the deer at 9500 elevation! the progam called for 2.9 MOA, put 3.0 MOA in scope and thats all she wrote. Deer died within seconds and fell in his tracks, I was impressed of this bullet at such close range and the fact the velocity is minimal comparing to ultra mags and other big dog's

PB110041.jpg
deer as I found him, minus pack and gun:D
PB110065.jpg
entrance showed massive would channel and blood shot. notice enctrance hole to the far left.
PB110066.jpg
Exit would with hide on was good, found chunks of lugs, bones and meat in snow about 20 yards behind deer.
PB110068.jpg
Exit hole upon skinning, the deer is not cleaned out yet and as you can see it blew most of what was inside, out only pieces of lungs and half a heart was left.

So fellars with a 300 win. don't be timid of these bad boys, if you have a 26" tube I think you will be impressed. I can't wait to get these on elk next year. Thanks Broz for the testing to drive me to use these things and load data help.

Looks good to me. No tracking required:D They just don't go far without heart and lungs. Great shooting on a awesome buck. Congrats!

Ole Mike, you are correct. What we have seen from both the 230 OTM and 215 Hybrid is they do give large exits in at the distances under 400. But at longer diatances the exit shrinks to 1 to 1 1/2". The good thing is they have always expanded for us. Even on antelope as far as 1285 yards. Some might complain about meat loss but if you keep them on the ribs it will be almost none. And really we have not noticed that much loss even with other hits. I sure like these results better than some I have seen from non or low expansion bullets. If they run off and you don't find them it is 100% loss.

Thanks for the report Trophy Hunter! and again congrats on a great Buck.

Jeff

Thanks Broz, I take good pride in a buck like this one. He is no giant but a mature deer. I like the heavier jackets on the tactical bullets. Im no berger expert but I think it still has a killer grenade effect but still can deal with heavier bone, What do you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts