230 Gr Berger Load Data For 300RUM wanted.

They list two bullets. The tactical OTM and the target type. The target bullet has a higher B.C.
Would like to know if the tactical bullet is good for game and at what velocities.

When i e-mail the teck he said that eather bullet was not for hunting.

I'm sure they will say that because these bullets were not specifically designed for hunting purposes. Guaranteed that there will be those on this forum that can't wait to get their hands on some of those higher B/C target hybrids for testing on game. I'll be watching and waiting :D I was just hoping to get some better technical info from Berger about jacket thinknesses and the differences between the OTM Hybrid and Hybrid Target. Hopefully Eric or Bryan will chime in at some point with some good technical info.

I may have some on game results with the OTMs soon. I have two shooters, hopefully one with my 300RUM and one with the 338LM. Season starts a week from tomorow. This box should give me enough to work out my load and have some to hunt with. I hope all the load data will usefull with the 230 target hybrids when they hit shelves.

I got two hunderd off them. I went through 100 of them trying to get the best load with retumbo and h-1000 . I will ge going to the river to work out a chart with h-1000 today or tomorrow I going with 92gr h-1000.

I got two hunderd off them. I went through 100 of them trying to get the best load with retumbo and h-1000 . I will ge going to the river to work out a chart with h-1000 today or tomorrow I going with 92gr h-1000.

New shooter what rifle are you shooting?? That is not a 300RUM load is it? Berger recommend a MAX of 84.8 Gr of H1000 behind that 230 Gr Hybrid for the 300RUM.

New shooter what rifle are you shooting?? That is not a 300RUM load is it? Berger recommend a MAX of 84.8 Gr of H1000 behind that 230 Gr Hybrid for the 300RUM.

When I asked he said it was, on page 1 he lists the charges he tried, up to 97gr H-1000. If some has quick load, could you run that and see what the pressure is. (If you're there would you mind running 85-88 for me) One of these days I'm gonna pony up the money and be done with it, just haven't yet.

I've got some loaded above Berger's recommended loads, up to 88gr (I HAVE NOT SHOT THESE YET). I checked a bunch of other data, and I don't think they will be too hot. They may be. I'm creeping up slow and may never get to shoot those loads. They might be for use on the bullet puller only. I'll be shooting them this weekend for groups and pressure signs. I'll let you know how it works out. I started with 83 up to 85. Ill see if there any room for some velocity. Some Berger info I've gotten in the past has been on what I think is the cautious side. Other info from them seems to be inline with other manuals.

Well I just got back from shooting my 300rum with 230 berger and it shot good .75 group at a hundred yards 91 grains 2990 avr and 92 grains 3035 average rotumbo I had a little primer flattening with the 92 grains but not much at all I'm gonna load it at 91.5 to get me right at 3000 fps I seated them to fit the mag 3.60 they said they r designed to shoot out of the lands I'm happy

I have also found that some load data from Berger is on the low side compared to other manuals I use, but different bullets behave differently and 85 Gr is a LONG way behind 92 Gr. I think it pays to be very cautious what data you take from internet sources.

Well I just got back from shooting my 300rum with 230 berger and it shot good .75 group at a hundred yards 91 grains 2990 avr and 92 grains 3035 average rotumbo I had a little primer flattening with the 92 grains but not much at all I'm gonna load it at 91.5 to get me right at 3000 fps I seated them to fit the mag 3.60 they said they r designed to shoot out of the lands I'm happy
Wow Blacktail. Those figures are outstanding. 3000fps with that bullet with accuracy would more than do me!

Ya I'm very happy I like velocity with a big bullet I was actually Realy surprised at the velocty with no pressure my bolt lifted like there wasn't a round in there I think I have a very fast barrel I loaded up some of my 180 bts the other day with 100 grn of rotumbo and shot 3448 and that's .5 grain below Wat hogdon calls max and 148 fps faster than it says to. Now I hate to ask for help buy I need some data from 100 to 1000 yards of moa for my bdc dial with that bullet if any one could send me a email I would love it my computer is bunk and my phone won't let me enter anything

Yes it is a 300 ultra mag. Like i said always work up your loads one grain at a time. I ended up yousing 92 gr of H-1000 i could of yoused more powder but my best ES where at 92gr. Retumbo didn,t get good ES in my gun. I shot retumbo in my 338 AX 1/2 moa past 1400 yds. Rember the vel in the reloading book is so they don;t get suide if something goes rong. Just go slow let your rifle tail you when you reached the max then back off two grs. I will usley back off three or for grs. then load three shot at 1/2 gr incress to i find the best ES . Like 90gr then 90 1/2 then 91 then 92 that is where i found my 2964 2965 2968. Now i could of went further but that was my best load. My 300 ultra mite be a faster barrel i don,t know. So start at 86 and work up. My rem has a 25 1/2'' rockcreek barrel. I just order a Basix trigger set at one pound from compene. That sould help get my groups under 1/2 moa. See i do not care if i get to three THOUSAND that would not be hard but low ES IS WAY MORE INPORTENT TO ME. I hope this helped. Joe

Last edited:
Could I get some help my computer is down and I can't enter ballistics with my phone I need the moa from 100 to 1000 its a 300 rum I'm at 1500ft 55degrees 29.9 pressure 230 grain bullet .719 bc my reticle is 1.75 above bore please help me out my email is [email protected]

Recent Posts