230 Bergers or 230 ATips?

TIOGA300

Hey all! I'm on the fence with a heavy 30 cal bullet for my RUM that's currently at my gun Smith. I was set on the 230 bergers until my Smith suggested the 230 ATips with the better BC. I like the idea of the ATips but wanted some reassurance from you guys considering this is a hunting rifle. My rifle will have a 28inch brux 1 in 9 twist. I have H1000 and RL 33 to play with, and ADG brass on its way as well. Curious to hear from those of you with experience taking game with either or both. Thanks in advance!

I haven't taken game with mine yet, but with RL33 and 230 Bergers, it's an absolute tack driver. I don't think you can go wrong with that combination. The only caveat I have, is that my coal will not fit in the magazine box.

Hey all! I'm on the fence with a heavy 30 cal bullet for my RUM that's currently at my gun Smith. I was set on the 230 bergers until my Smith suggested the 230 ATips with the better BC. I like the idea of the ATips but wanted some reassurance from you guys considering this is a hunting rifle. My rifle will have a 28inch brux 1 in 9 twist. I have H1000 and RL 33 to play with, and ADG brass on its way as well. Curious to hear from those of you with experience taking game with either or both. Thanks in advance!
There's a bit more info on the 230 atip & 230 Berger on long range only.com. They took some elk with the atip and it done the trick. They thought the atip was a little more explosive than the Berger. My thoughts are: I would try the atip and if I could get the accuracy I wanted then I would go with it. If not I would try the Berger.

I haven't taken game with mine yet, but with RL33 and 230 Bergers, it's an absolute tack driver. I don't think you can go wrong with that combination. The only caveat I have, is that my coal will not fit in the magazine box.
I'm having my Remington 700 mag stretched out with a wyatt's box, so that will help. Glad to hear that combo works, thanks!

I don't know much about the a-tips but the 215 and 230 bergers have killed a ton of game which as been documented extensively.

I killed a cow elk in the Texas panhandle last year with a center shoulder shot at 235 yards. Dropped like a sack of rocks.

I've since switched to the 230s for a little more weight and bc with identical speed from my 30 nosler.

When the bc gets to the numbers of the 215 berger and higher i don't think it really matters inside 1k....jmho.

No complaints on the bull and cow I took with my 300 RUM and 230 gr Berger hybrid target bullets.

Cow was 250 yds in dead timber offering only her shoulders. High shoulder shot through both scapulas was a fast DRT with bullet exiting with 1 1/2" diameter exit hole with little meat damaged in either shoulder.

Big 6 x 6 was facing me with slight angle. Bullet entered into middle of chest exiting offside behind shoulder with a 2" exit. He staggered 20 ft and crashed into dead timber.

If I ever get drawn again for elk you can bet this will be the bullet I will use!

Here is a great report on how the 230 worked in Africa:

I don't have any experience with the A-Tips. I have been using the 230 berger since it came out with a 300 ultra with a wyatts 4" box shooting 3,030 fps. I have taken game 100 yards to a cow elk at 1,245 yards. Most animals dropped in there tracks if you make a high shoulder shot.

I don't have any experience with the A-Tips. I have been using the 230 berger since it came out with a 300 ultra with a wyatts 4" box shooting 3,030 fps. I have taken game 100 yards to a cow elk at 1,245 yards. Most animals dropped in there tracks if you make a high shoulder shot.
Thanks for the reply! What powder and barrel length/twist, and brass are you using? I'm hoping to get 3000fps or more

Thanks for the reply! What powder and barrel length/twist, and brass are you using? I'm hoping to get 3000fps or more
You'll get 3000 easily. I'm shooting a factory Remington sendero with a 10 twist 26" barrel. With rl33 I'm at 3050. I can push it to 3150 and still be accurate, but I don't want to beat my gun and brass up.

The bullet that shoots best is the one to go with if you decide between these two. Yes, the Berger VLD, elite and classic hunters are near frangible, but their accuracy is undeniable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts