230 Berger hybrid target for hunting?

Doublezranch

I know the 230 Berger came in a OTM version (which I have been shooting) and have had tons of grins with this bullet. I also know that the OTM version has a thinker jacket which makes is most suitable for hunting. However, has anyone used the target hybrid on any game? I know the jacket is thinner but the bc is a bit higher. Anyone with any experience hunting with it?

I do need to say thank you to Broz and Young Gun for steering me to this bullet. I was skeptical at first but now super happy the more I shoot it.

Hey Jayson, i am 99% sure Bob Beck from Extreme Outer Limits tv has been using the 230 target out of the 300 EOL, might want to send him a PM if he doesnt chime in here.

Hey Jayson, i am 99% sure Bob Beck from Extreme Outer Limits tv has been using the 230 target out of the 300 EOL, might want to send him a PM if he doesnt chime in here.

Make that 100%. It is what Bob uses with fantastic success. I spoke with about the OTM and the standard hybrid a few weeks ago. He prefers the thinner jacketed hybrid for hunting as opposed to the thicker jacketed OTM.

Thanks boys. My plan is to switch but I wanted to see if anyone had some data with this bullet and some hunting success. Sounds like Bob has achieved the success I am looking for.

Thanks again gentlemen!

I thought the 230 gr Berger OTM and target hybrids shared the same jacket thickness.

It took me a while but I found the quote:

Bob Beck of Extreme Outer Limits posted this on LRH regarding the performance of the 230 match hybrid target:

"For the 230 I am using so far it has been the target. Not that the jacket is any different than the OTM, just the nose design for a little higher B.C. Now one important thing I would like to mention, is that I noticed the 230 traveling 3000 fps out of my 26" bbl took away some of my concerns about the thicker jackets."

I've been wanting to give some of these a try too, but I'm having pretty good luck with the 215gr Hybrid Target in the 300 Win Mag right now and I'm not sure adding more weight will really gain me anything. But for a RUM it looks like it would be the ticket! What is the 300 EOL?? I can't keep up with cartridges anymore!

EOL = extreme outer limits.

It took some digging but the 300 EOL is most likely the 300 ultra mag.

Some articles that lead me in that direction:

McMillan EOL Mountain Extreme Denali

https://store.extremeouterlimitstv.com/eol-ammo-300-ultra

Introducing: "McMillan EOL Line of Rifles"

McMillan International Group posts:

"Introducing"

The new line of McMillan EOL Magnum Rifles. McMillan, Extreme Outer Limits TV, Berger Bullets and NightForce Scopes have teamed to make the most extreme line of long range hunting packages on the market. Each model is made to McMillan's demanding standards. Custom reamers have been made for each caliber to maximize velocity and performance when using Berger bullets. There is nothing like these rifles available on the market today. Be ahead of the curve and call today for more information on the McMillan EOL line of rifles.

Models:

EOL Outdoorsman; McMillan EDGE Tech Outdoorsman stock, 26″ #5 fluted match grade stainless Schneider barrel with polygon rifling with Vias muzzle break.

EOL LRH; McMillan EDGE Tech LRH stock, 26″ SR60 contour match grade stainless Schneider barrel with polygon rifling.

We plan to inventory the EOL LRH in .338 Lapua and the EOL Outdoorsman in 7mm EOL Magnum, and 30-378 EOL Magnum. Any other combination of models and calibers may be custom ordered.

For more information and sales call 1-877-365-6148.

Kelly D. McMillan

Director of Operations

McMillan Group International, LLC

Go to the ELR thread on this site and look at 230 bergers subsonic thread. You will see pics of my animals and others that were harvested with the 230 grain OTM. It is a beast, shoot them while they last!gun)

Killed a muley buck this year with the 230 hybrid - the bullet did its job - shot was @ 200 yards (not the longrange one I was looking for). Bullet went from the top of the shoulder and ended in the lower rib cage - a few fragments exited, but probably 99% of the energy was expended in the animal. Shot from a 300 RUM @ 3150fps.....

I to would like to know how you guys are getting these 3000+ speeds out of a 230 Hybrid. I've only got a 26" barrel but 2925 is a hot load in this Gun.
Could we get some complete Data what you guys have and what you are useing!

My rifle has a 30" tube which loves 86 gr of H1000 :D

This is right at what i consider max for good brass life - I've loaded it up to 88 gr before but I had a sticky bolt and lossened primer pockets only to gain another 100 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.