230 berger hybrid questions

aaroncarp

I'm sure this is all over on these forums, but to be honest, I would rather have my specific question answered.

I shoot a 300 RUM, still with the factory remington 26" 1:10" barrel. I used to shoot the 210 VLDs from it, they never quite shot how I wanted them too and since I am doing a little custom work to the gun right now I thought I might develop a new load.

I am wondering if the 230 hybrids (not the OTMs) will shoot well from the barrel. I know Berger only recommends a 10" twist, but I know that is right on the edge. I see guys shooting them really well with 28 or 30" tubes. I am not sure I have seen anyone shoot them with a 26" factory barrel. I am hoping to get close to 2800 fps with these. Should I give it a shot? or drop to the 215s? or stick with 210s?

Thanks in advance.

My 300 RUM, two friend's 300 RUMs and another friend's 300 WSM all shoot the Berger 230 gr match target hybrid very accurately. All rifles have a 1 in 10 twist. The 300 WSM's velocity is 2725 fps. I am certain your rifle will stabilize this bullet.

At 2800 fps, your 1:10" twist should stabilize the bullet just fine. As for whether they will shoot well or not...There is one way to find out gun).

My .300 WM with a 24" Benchmark 1-10" barrel likes the 230 OTM the best of all the Berger heavies. My Bartlein 24" 1-10" shoots the 210 HVLD best.
You are just going to have to see what your barrel likes.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.