230 berger hybrid bc change

smoked

I may have missed it but when and why did Berger change the advertised bc of the 30 cal 230 hybrid target? The old number has been good for me. Running the new number causes me to shoot high.

I may have missed it but when and why did Berger change the advertised bc of the 30 cal 230 hybrid target? The old number has been good for me. Running the new number causes me to shoot high.
Yes sir I'm still running my numbers off the old BC and its working for me . The boxes I have are older also, before the change anyways

What are you running them in? if in a ultra mag and you don't mind sharing some load data it would be nice. I ran them in my RUM at 3.788 OAL of loaded round. I was loading 89 grains of retumbo as well. But this makes my rifle a single shot which I really don't like. I have another load I'm currently using which is the 220 ELDX. I can get it in the mag with no issues. Shoot pretty well. I would like to run the 230's in the mag but I think the jump was to much. Just seeing if anyone had other load data the is working.

What are you running them in? if in a ultra mag and you don't mind sharing some load data it would be nice. I ran them in my RUM at 3.788 OAL of loaded round. I was loading 89 grains of retumbo as well. But this makes my rifle a single shot which I really don't like. I have another load I'm currently using which is the 220 ELDX. I can get it in the mag with no issues. Shoot pretty well. I would like to run the 230's in the mag but I think the jump was to much. Just seeing if anyone had other load data the is working.
300 RUM 26" 230 OTM mag length(~3.66") 89.9g Retumbo 215 RP brass =2,980fps

Last edited:
thanks. for the info. I going to try some at 3.685 with 85 grns of RL26. This is almost touching the mag and I still need to check if it will cycle. may have to seat them a little deeper.

I believe Berger is declaring an average velocity BC now. This is likely best for most shooters, with their ballistic software, but not for you with yours.
Use what you know works for you

I run 230 Berger hybrids , H1000 82.0 gr , my OAL is rite @ mag length . They are not like VLD's . So seat them to your magazine length and work up your loads from there, you will not be unhappy they shoot really well, I love them. I also run 215 Hybrids the same way in a different rifle. Retumbo is great for speed but not very temp stable, I prefer H1000 its more temp stable . I live in Az so our temps can be cold in the mornings and warm in the mid day and back to cool temps @ late evenings during hunting season .

I've had excellent success with Retumbo in temperature extremes, from 105F to -20F. My same D.O.P.E. works spot on to 1100 yards. Retumbo is one of the best powders available in my opinion, run it with confidence.

I've had excellent success with Retumbo in temperature extremes, from 105F to -20F. My same D.O.P.E. works spot on to 1100 yards. Retumbo is one of the best powders available in my opinion, run it with confidence.
Yes sir I didn't mean to sound like retumbo wasn't any good , its all preference yes if it works for you by all means give her heck :):)

Truth be known I have RL26, H1000, 7828, RL25, RL23 and Retumbo. The 230's I used retumbo in the first go around but I just loaded up some with RL26 yesterday. My hunting round with RL26 in my shooter app, I have a powder temp off set of something like .15 fps for degree. I read a couple of thread about the temp stability of RL26. It seem to work pretty good for the temps we hunt in out here in Utah during our seasons. I don't think I have shot it in anything above 75 degrees so far either. It's not a bad powder at all if you can live with the slight change. Before my wife's hunt this year we were out practicing getting her some shooting time on her 243. I haven't shot my 300 RUM since last hunting season which has been my longest kill shot to date (761 yards). I have seven loaded rounds from last year. I put 2 1033 yard shots on a 24x15 size target (its a rock) that I normally shoot at to validate load data during our practiced. Both hit pretty much center. After that I put my gun back in the case. My wife laughed and said I was showing off. She was spotting for me. I was just glad to see nothing had changed. I shot my buck in about 35 degree weather last year. I developed the round in 58 degree weather. The info is in my shooter app. I will be trying the Retumbo this winter again as well just not seating the bullets so far out the 230's . Also have about 3 pounds of H1000 to knock around if I like. My biggest worry is I have developed all my loads on Remington Brass and its been hard to come by at a decent price and this involves buying loaded ammo and pulling the bullets. I've also necked up 7mm RUM brass and then let it grow. I haven't seen any ill effects for this.

I was using them in a RUM 26 inch. Load was REM brass, 215 primer, hybrid target, 90gr Retumbo winter, 89.5gr Retumbo summer. Velocity was 3005 fps with a spread of 12. Also I was loading them at 3.94 length. It would shoot 3/4 inch group from 1 to 300 yds. When you get beyond 1500 yds they flew amazing but after 1850 they would get out of hand. 1:10 twist. I am having Shawn Carlock fix it with a 30 inch Hart 1:9 chambered for plus p and making it a repeater instead of single. Its a hunting rifle and a target rifle. I dont mind packing the heavy rifle. I want to be able to reach past 2kyds. Dont get me wrong I dont hunt those ranges. I will practice long and hunt short. Short means 1k and less.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.