22x47 Lapua

Nothing you're talking about doing with a wildcat is inexpensive. If you're looking to save money by using this round then you're not going to do it. Also you seem to be hung up on the "efficiency" of the 6.5x47 Lapua case. It is efficient, when it's shooting 6.5mm bullets. Neck it down to .22 and it's pretty overbore so efficiency goes out the window. You're not going to get any better barrel life out of it than a regular 22-250 AI and certainly not more than a regular 22-250, whoever told you otherwise is full of it. You're going the long way around the mountain to end up with what is essentially a 22-250 AI with slightly less case capacity. You're going to have to get custom dies and a custom reamer none of which is inexpensive then you say you don't want to pay for Lapua brass because it's too expensive. It seems like you're wanting to get out cheap (no problem with that), but what you're wanting to do is going to end up costing you a lot more in the long run than going with the regular 22-250 AI which you can buy off the shelf dies for and for which most decent gunsmiths have a reamer. Even cheaper would be a regular 22-250.
Garycrows' post is right to the point. You're chasing your tail on this one. Playing with wildcat cartridges means reaching deep into your pocket. It doesn't look like that is in your plan as you're trying to find a cheaper way around every phase of the project. Play with any high intesity .22 and barrel life becomes a moot point.

The point of this thread is not to compare the 22x47 to the 22-250AI.

The point is for me to have a sounding board about the dies and applicable ways one can reload.

I am just looking for straightforward responses to my questions.

I appreciate all responses but some are just not helpful.

No, I don't think it would.

Edd has been a great help with no BS answers.

I was looking at case dimensions last night. The .22 BR neck shoulder junction is at about 1.2" or so. If I was to run it in until it reached the neck shoulder junction of my .223 at 1.56" or thereabouts, would that create a problem with extraction because of the .36" of case without a taper? I beleive they will run a BR reamer in .100 more to make BRX chambers, but this is quite a bit more than that.

One of the good things about the 22-250 AI, it longer case life. The 40° shoulder significantly slows down the brass from flowing to the neck. This migration of the brass from the body of the cartridge will thin the body of the brass therefore weakening it. You can also increase case life by increasing the time between shots. Personally, I take at least 2 minutes between shots with a standard 22-250.
This coming Fall I intend to get a new barrel for the 22-250 Ackley Improved version for the purpose of improved brass life and bullets up to 75 or 80 grains. There is a special nitride coating available, which also significantly increases barrel life (aka: throat life). Another option I'm strongly considering, is a polygon barrel from PacNor, which I think may also contribute to longer throat life. At the very least, the polygon barrel makes cleaning the barrel easier & faster. Do some research like I did. Maybe you'll come to a conclusion similar to mine.
Looking at the specs of the 22 x 47, it appears as though the powder capacity isn't much different from the 22-250. The 22x47 has a shoulder angle 0f 30° vs. 28° on the 22-250 & 40° on the Ackley Improved. Think about it.

Spencer

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.