22WMR for Coyotes

cstilt

I know it's not really long range, but I have a question. Here in TN you can only hunt coyotes with a weapon legal for other game in that season if you hunt on public land. Small game season is open for a pretty long time here so shotguns w/ 4shot are legal as is rimfire rifles. My question is, Can I use a 22wmr to cleanly take coyotes? If you say yes, what ranges and loads do you suggest?

I've heard some people say yes, some people say no, but I wanted you guys advice on it since many of you have been doing this long before I thought of it. I'd love to hear of actual hunts explaining why you say yes or no.

Oh, the rifle I plan on using is a Winchester 9422M. If I can find someone to let me hunt their property I can use any rifle I like. Then it's either the Mini14 or Abolt 270.

Thanks,
Chris

Hey bro, it does not have to be long range per say. It's just the name of the site! LOL!
I will say YES, only if you know your maximum effective ACCURATE range. For instance, I can accurately shoot my 22 WMR out to about 180 yards, so I will say that I would use my WMR if I could. I live in NJ, and we are limited to using shotgun or muzzleloader during the day, but shotgun only at night, with the exception of using between #4 and #T shot, not to get off the topic of your question.
I would say that the 22 WMR is a good round at whatever distance you think that you can place the shot so the bullet hits the heart or lungs. An animal does not go far without his wind bags, and not to mention that it is a rather large target on the animal itself.
To summarize it all, I say, "GO FOR IT!"
Go out there, and smoke one of those devil dogs!

A long way from my first choice and I would never recomand it, but you have to do what you have to do. Put those bullets in the chest and you will kill them all and recover most of them.

I've killed one coyote in my life with a 22WMR at 110 yds - standing broadside and dead centered it in the chest just behind the front legs. DRT - dropped in his tracks. We used to hunt and shoot a lot of red fox with the 22WMR using the 40 grain JHPs.

Use the JHPs. I would be reluctant to take shots past 150 yds if you want the expectation of quick kills. If the velocity slows to where the bullets don't expand very violently, then I predict the round will not kill quickly and effectively.

There was a huge difference between 22 LR and 22 WMR on red fox. Common to wound even fox with the 22 LRs. The 22 WMR goes just fast enough with the thinly jacketed bullets to be a much superior killer.

Out to 125 yds I'd be pretty confident. Past 150 yds I'd expect the worst.

I know it's not really long range, but I have a question. Here in TN you can only hunt coyotes with a weapon legal for other game in that season if you hunt on public land. Small game season is open for a pretty long time here so shotguns w/ 4shot are legal as is rimfire rifles. My question is, Can I use a 22wmr to cleanly take coyotes? If you say yes, what ranges and loads do you suggest?

I've heard some people say yes, some people say no, but I wanted you guys advice on it since many of you have been doing this long before I thought of it. I'd love to hear of actual hunts explaining why you say yes or no.

Oh, the rifle I plan on using is a Winchester 9422M. If I can find someone to let me hunt their property I can use any rifle I like. Then it's either the Mini14 or Abolt 270.

Thanks,
Chris

I've shot many coyotes over the years with a 22WMR. I shoot an old Marlin bolt-action with a 3x9x40mm scope. Shot placement is important so get well acquainted with your rifle! I always went for a head, heart, or lung shot. I limit my range to 125yds or less. When I knew that shots would be at the far end of range, I prefered a jacketed solid for penetration. At less than 100yds, a JHP would put them down with a thud. The key is knowing your rifle well!

I've taken a fox straight on dead center of the chest with a 22lr dropped where it stood, howled for about 3 seconds albeit at 15 yards. If your confident on shot placement w/22WMR then I'd say go for it but not much past 100 or so yards.

I've never taken a coyote with the 22 WMR, however I've takin a boatload of chucks, fox's, turkey gobblers, and deer on damage permits with one, try the 50 gr fed. hp's, it puts the 22 mag into a whole nother class. its my bro-n-laws go to for stock killin bears on his farm.
RR

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking if I kept my shots at under 100 that it would work our decently. As soon as I get a chance I'm gonna give it a try. I'll be sure to update everyone as to what happens. Could be a while though, I'm new to yote hunting and could take me a bit to call one in. lol

Chris

RR, I'll try the Federal 50gr HPs if I can find any around here. So far I have a box of Win. Super X 40gr hp and CCI 40gr HP.
Did I read your location as being in WV? What part are you from? I grew up near Oceana WV in the southern part of the state.

Good luck with the calling and the hunt. We look forward to hearing about your successful hunt.

I'm from way north of oceana, at the western edge of the eastern panhandle, 2 hrs exactly due east of was. DC. Spent a couple days in oceana back in '87 on a hog hunt, Hat a joke that season was!
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.