22mag

screech

I have an savage on order in a 22mag and was wondering what kind of ammo to shoot. Never owned a 22mag so I dont know if I need heavier bullets or lighter ones. I was going to use it mostly on squirles, chucks etc. I would use it on yotes if it will work. I was also going to use if for just plinking at long range for it. 3-400yrds. I figure it would help me with learning drop and dialing. I have done it before but I always like trying to learn new stuff.

I have tried just about all the 22 mag ammo out there. The best shooting by far in my rifle was the Remington Premier 33 gr V-Max, or what ever the weight is. These are also fairly good in the terminal performance range. It is extremely pricey around my neck of the woods so I tend to not shoot them much.

Another good brand to try is the CCI Maxi-Mag. They shoot well enough for the money.

As far as out right destruction, the best I have tried is the CCI Maxi-Mag with the TNT hollow point. Not the best shooters around, but very destructive. Next in line for destruction I would have to say the CCI Maxi-Mag + V. More or less the same as the TNT hollow point version, but with a conventional hollow point.

CCI has come out with a new 22 mag round with a V-Max bullet. I have not tried these, but if you can get your hands on some, give them a go and see.

But really, you will have to buy a box of anything that you can get your hands on and try them in your rifle. 22 mag ammo is much like 22 LR ammo, it depends on the rifle. Find out what yours likes the best and go with it.

What Alucard said..

I have a marlin and the 33gr v-max shoots great and performs great.
For target practice the winchester grey box stuff is good.
I just bought and watched the video 'the verminators' and rick pailet uses a 22mag w/a video camera on top to kill several coyotes and bobcats.If you practice alot and are good w/a mag rimfire it is a decent predator rig.--Mike

all I use a 22 mag for is fall gobblers and fox, I really like the fed 50 gr hp's, but about 125-150 yds is all I ever shoot.

+1 on the 33v max
I used the federal with siera bullets but they changed it and stuck a TNT in em now and they went to crap.

[ QUOTE ]
all I use a 22 mag for is fall gobblers and fox, I really like the fed 50 gr hp's, but about 125-150 yds is all I ever shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the 50 grainer's are deadly........

Got one of the Savage HB mags, put on a 3-9 Redfield, and the 33gr Vmax is one hole at 50yds. Have a case of Fed Prem with the older bullet and it shoots it fine, but not as tight as the Rem. We have a 10" sq. gong at 300yds and I held the top edge of the target and popped it 3 straight with the 33gr.Vs. I was amazed. I did have feeding problems with CCI HPs. Too big a front cavity. The Winchester old white box FMJs shot one hole, too, and the hps were right behind. My new close-range dog gun and will take it to Colorado in June. Might even leave the 223 home and just haul the mag and 22-250. Bob

6mm shooter, what powder are you useing to get 2600.
I started loading my own with v-max moly's and am getting 2300 and some change.
With the moly I'm not getting much for pressure signs, I've been utilizing the factory cci + v charges.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been loading my own lately and I am getting 2640fps with a 40gr v-max. The performance is great compared to factory loads.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reloading rimfire?
Where can I get more info/materials to start. Can this be done for the 17 HMR?

I am using Lil'Gun. I started at 5gr behind the 40gr V-max and worked up from there. My max load ended up being much higher. The case won't fit much more without serious compression.

There are no actual supplies for loading the 22Mag. I buy winchester dyna points, pull the bullets, dump the powder and reload. Costs me about $35CND for 100 rounds but the performance is worth it. That being said I still shoot my hornet more often.

I love it when my friends ask me to come out shooting gophers with them and their 17HMRs. They get really jellous really fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.