.22lr vs .22 mag

mattri

Tried a search, sorry if this has been covered.

The .22 lr is accurate at 100 yards, with enough energy to take small game and varmints. How much farther out is the .22lr still effective?
At what point is a .22 lr no longer adequate and a .22 mag is needed?
How far do you extend your effective range with a .22 mag, does this justify the added expense of mag ammo?
At what point are you better off just going to a .204 or .223?

For example, looking at a Savage MKIIFV or a 93FV. Where does the .22 mag take over after the MKII vs just buying a .223? Any ideas welcome, Matt.

I used to do a lot of wood chuck shooting in a suburban area. I found that after 75 yards I was getting about 1/3 that would make it down their holes with a 22 LR HP. I started using a 22WRM HP and I rarely had one get away. Sure, I didn't lose any sleep about a wood chuck, but it just didn't sit well knowing I could do better. I took a lot out to 125 yards and seldom had to hit them twice. Because of the proximity of housing, bikers and pedestrians I stayed away from the centerfire rifle for the noise and the attention that they would draw.

For squirles and rabbits out to 100 yards the LR is plenty. For woodchucks from 50 to 125 it was the WRM for me. I know others that stretch that a bit but I switch to my 22-250 beyond those ranges.

And right now WRM are a lot easier to find than LR. The last time I was at Cabela's they only had one brick of subsonic LR but lots of WRM.

But you yardage may vary.

Good luck.

in my opinion the .22 WMR is a whole different breed of cat than the venerable .22 LR. i have a lot of experience with this round and i have gained more and more repect for it over the years. just as a rule of thumb , i would say that it doubles your effective range on any game you would use the .22 LR for, but it does so much more than that. i have killed or been in on killing 4 mountain lions with this caliber. 3 were one shot kills, the fourth was hit badly on the first shot (elbo)and needed more shots. I have killed coyotes with this round out to 150yds.....i know of several elk and deer and a few bears. I use it as my main concealed carry gun (.22 automag) AJ

Dogdinger-

Not to start an argument on here, but why would you take a 22 WMR after mountain lion? For something like that I, personally, would like a whole lot more gun in my shoulder.

greywolf.....lion hunting is more like marathon running than any other type hunting you will do. the weight is the issue. it really isnt all that hard to hit a treed lion and they do not as a general rule take a lot of killing. 22 rimfires do just fine, but the WMR is just the ticket i think. AJ

From a prairie doggers perspective the 22lr works great to around 100 yards and is quiet enough to keep every dog in the area from heading down their holes. The 17 HMR (sorry aint never used a 22Mag) works great to 150 yards with very little increase in noise.
The biggest problem/bennefit to the rimfires is they are not reloadable and with todays prices and last years reloading supplies the 204 and 223 can be reloaded just about as cheap as the 17HMR and 22Mag??
I like my 17HMR and a 22mag would cirtainly work too but prefer to shoot the close ones with the 22lr and then go to the centerfires.
IMHO I would skip over the 17HMR/22Mags and go right from 22lr to the small centerfires if you reload. Buying ammo off the shelf might make the 17HMR/22Mags a viavle option?

Thanks for clarifying that. Like I said, I wasn't trying to knock you or start an argument, just curiousity. I hear the word mountain lion and I am automatically thinking of at least a 6mm minimum. Thanks for clarifying that.

So now that its a centerfire only, what cal are you using now?

How far do you extend your effective range with a .22 mag, does this justify the added expense of mag ammo?
At what point are you better off just going to a .204 or .223?
Matt.

I can get Fiocchi 22 mag ammo locally for $6.79 a box of 50, I would check your local prices to help in your decision. The .204 is a sweet round I have an ar in that caliber, but the .22 mag is so much quieter and cheaper. Its nice to go out squirrel hunting with .22 mag and know you have the extra power if needed for a predator you happen onto.
There is also a cheap Whinchester brand i think it was dynapoints i looked at for under $7.00 but they looked dirty/corroted i didnt even want to shoot them, the fiocchis on the other hand looked great. I am not terribly confident that price will last too long tho, i sure hope it does.

i sight my savage model 93 xp cammo at 200 yds and have shot too 300yds the lenght of my home range i really feel that the .22 mag is definately worth the price about twice as much as a .22 lr and half as much as the .223 ammo
and if you look at the specs the .22 wmr has a diameter of .224. so i mean if you really want to drop somethin out at 600 yds a .22 mag wont do it niether will a .223 do it reliably. think of this a pellet gun will kill someone if you shoot them in the eye, and an m16 in the hands of a rank amature isnt any more lethal than a .22lr in the hands of a skilled marksman. my little savage punched through 1/8th inch steel at 50 yds to give you an idea a door panel on a car is usually anywhere from .040-.060 depending on the model. and the material i shot is .125 over twice as thick .gun) 8

Look at it as being able to make a reliable kill. Most shooters have a fair variety of firearms in their gun safe. .22LR is fine for 50-75 yard shots at rabbit, or squirrel, but for anything out to 100 yards the WMR would be a more reliable weapon. The WMR trumps the .17HMR if you are looking to eat what you shoot. The little .17 can ruin a lot of meat depending on the bullet type, but it does extend your reliable kill range well beyond what the .22LR, or WMR. I have rifles in .22LR, .22WMR and .17HMR. I also have a .22 break barrel airgun for close in shooting when noise and proximity to people, or livestock is an issue. The right tool for the right job applies to firearms. That goes for centerfire as well as rimfire. I'm not looking to push the envelope at the risk of wounding game and not being able to recover it.

IMHO this is one of those ask ten people get ten different answers kinda question.

They are so similar yet so different.

When I was younger my 9422LR was all I ever wanted and all I ever needed but I find the older I get the more I grab my M77 or Rem. 597M both in 22WMR.

Kinda funny how age changes you.

i love my savage 93xp cammo (.22 wmr) but i also love my mossberg 42m (.22 S L & LR ) for the price and the difference in power i think the .22 wmr is worth every penny i dont know about the .17 hmr cuz ive never fired one so i wont try to review, reccomend,or put it down.

ive done tests with the 22 lr and the wmr on various metals i got from work i work at an aerospace company so everything i get is ASTM approved(not junk)

a .070 piece of inconel on a 2by4 will stop a 22 lr round without really denting the metal much. now a 22lr will go through the same thickness of mild steel, (like the stuff a car door is made of). and stick in the 2by4.

now my wmr completely deystroyed the inconel and the 2by4 without remorse that is impressive.

to give you an idea a CNC machine (a computer controlled milling machine) has a tough time with inconel, it chews through the carbide bits. The metal doesnt really want to cut it is "sticky" it stretches and deforms if your not carefull. these machines tear through titanuim stainless and anything else you want. but not inconel.

the fact that a rimfire cartrige has the power to blow through it makes me an advocate for the .22 WMR i know a 243 or any rifle cartrige will to. but thats a whole different ballpark. gun) ill put pics up when i get my camera fixed.
oooh i just bought brownells "friction defense oil" its teflon and moly with all sorts of other goodies in it. i love this stuff i went to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it and the gun was warm not hot like it was when i used other stuff and for $5 for 2oz its a great deal buy this stuff you wont regret it i bought a 2 oz bottle and a4 oz bottle. delivered it was about $25
still a good deal

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.