22lr lower-223 upper?

crittrgittr

I am new to this AR forum so forgive if this is a repeat. Just wondering if any 22lr lowers can take a 223 upper? If so what brands have you any luck with? Or if you can link me to a previous forum that would be appreciated to.

I am new to this AR forum so forgive if this is a repeat. Just wondering if any 22lr lowers can take a 223 upper? If so what brands have you any luck with? Or if you can link me to a previous forum that would be appreciated to.

There are complete riles as moderate cost (under $300) advertised as 22LR AR-15s, but in any I've seen they don't have the gas system components to handle the cycling a 223 Rem upper if they even fit. You can get 22LR uppers for a standard AR-15 Lower. Those have their own blowback bolt assembly built into the upper and only use the hammer and trigger of the lower. Those are typically as expensive as a 223 upper.

Consider a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10-22 if you want a 22LR semi-auto rifle.

Actually I am trying to get a 223 A.R. and they are all sold out right now. So I was hoping to be able to get a 22 Long rifle Lower and convert that to a 223.

That's what I was wondering. Just thought I could do it either way. That was why I came to you guys.

Hey I like your thinking though! It really is a good question. I never even thought about converting one of my ARs to 22LR, that's what the 10-22 is for.

For the rest of us needing an AR, or another one, and the recent shortages, depending on the manufacture's mag well design, you might end up with just a single shot AR. Not being able to use an 5.56 magazine.

Thank you guys. Looks like I am S OL. Walmart has a 22 Long rifle in colt right now was just thinking about buying it if I could do that. Thanks again

I have a 22LR, but it was built form the ground up as a rimfire training rifle. Completely identical to my 5.56mm NM Service Rifles, which was the whole idea. The lower, however, is a standard AR-15 pattern lower, and could be converted to centerfire simply by swapping the uppers. I've never messed with the various 22 "ARs" that have popped up recently, beyond handling them in the stores. Didn't like the feel of them, since they were obviously built to be more plinkers (in my opinion, anyway) than serious training rifles. Didn't get the impression that you'd be able to convert these to take a standard upper, or use centerfire stuff in any way. I love my 22LR, and use it extensively, but can't get too excited about the dedicated rimfire versions that are out now. Big difference between them and the CLE's, Accuracy Speaks (the one I have) and the CMMG versions that all use standard AR components .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.