.22lr brass deformation

rancilio

Can you diagnose my brass deformation problem? As you can see in the photo, all three cases are deformed. The bulge is about 1/2 around the brass. Each one is approximately the same.

.22lr Blazers shot from a TC Encore with .22lr Pro Hunter 15" barrel. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC03057.jpg
    DSC03057.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 238
Is it a new barrel or is it used? It looks as though someone that didnt know what they were doing had a dremel tool in the chamber... I wouldnt shoot it anymore without getting it fixed.

It was a brand new barrel. Now it has approx 30 rounds through it. The action closes properly and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I tried different ammo and that produced the same deformation.

What should I be looking for in the chamber to say "that's the problem"? What's the fix? Thanks.

Does TC know about it yet?? If they don't, get either them or your local shop in the picture. Rimfire rounds are rather fragile, so even though they aren't reloaded, this could be a problem.
Look for a wide spot on one side at the back of the chamber- it looks like the reamer might have had an issue or something.

Can you diagnose my brass deformation problem? As you can see in the photo, all three cases are deformed. The bulge is about 1/2 around the brass. Each one is approximately the same.

.22lr Blazers shot from a TC Encore with .22lr Pro Hunter 15" barrel. Thanks.

I'm having the same issue with my 15" Encore barrel. My cases expand into the extractor and are difficult to remove. Did you ever resolve this?

I'm having the same issue with my 15" Encore barrel. My cases expand into the extractor and are difficult to remove. Did you ever resolve this?
I'm seeing this on my kid's hot shot carbine too with some rounds. I'd try another brand and contact tc if that doesn't help.

No, I have resolved my .22 deformation issue. I need to get on it now though. I moved across the country to southern AZ and am just now getting my gear sorted out. I kinda forgot about this problem since I have not pulled a trigger in months.

Let me know what ya'll figure out and I will do the same. I just bought some cerrosafe to check the chamber of another barrel, but it looks like my .22 will get first dibs. More to follow.

Too much headspace with that barrel/frame combination but it's not necessarily due to a faulty chamber. Check the gap between the breach block and barrel by snapping the barrel shut on a feeler gauge until the effort to pull the blade out increases. You might have to remove the extractor if you can't work around it. The breach block can be shimmed out if it's excessive. It could be different with a different barrel so check the gap for each if you use more than that one. See bellmtcs.com for the really good stuff on T/C's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.