225 sst vs 225 ttsx on game at long range

big bore al

I am working up some loads for my 338 edge . I am trying the sst hoping it dont come apart like the match bullets put opens beter than the barns. I have been shoting the 225 ttsx from barns and they shot great but in testing them in wet newspapper and gell they penitrate like crazy but dont open much this test was at low vol to simulate a long shot any real life input would be great

What velocities were you shooting them into the newspapers? Barnes recommends down to 1800 fps for reliable expansion. I would say shoot the sst into the newspapers at the same velocity as the Barnes and choose whichever one you think did the best job of expanding.

SST's will open up at long range better that alot of other bullets but... Ive had them come apart at close range badly. Ive never lost an animal with them, but I had one come apart on a whitetale buck, I could find a peice of bullet that weighed more than 75 grains (frontal shot with .338 RUM @150 yards).

thanks for the input from both of you in not shure on inpact volicity put i figure about 2000fps the barns did open some at the tip but not much more than the dieamiter of the rest of the bullet . i did shot one at full load into paper at 100yds and it folded right over itself

i crank the ttsx out at 3200fps with my full load that is where they shoot the best im using 93gr win 780 i will try one on an upcomming early doe hunt and see how they work on game. if i see anything between 300 and 500 yds that will give me some idea to start . as for the sst i load them at 3050 witch is slow for the edge hoping they dont destroy to much meat if im lucky i can use both to have a comparison. after the weekend i will report back.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.