225 Barnes TTSX's and Reloader 25 for 338-378???

valin

I am about to try out loading some TTSX 225's on some Reloader 25 powder, and am wondering if anyone had any load data for me. I sure would appreciate the help, since I've been having some difficulty trying to get some decent accuracy out of this thing.

Rifle: Weatherby Accumark 338-378 28" (with brake)
Scope: Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50

Well, since nobody seems to be running 225's in this rifle setup, I figured I would post a bit of progress for others to see for future use.

I am now running Alliant Reloader 25 powder, and Barnes 225 gr. TTSX bullets, and things are starting to come together.

I loaded 24 shells, and headed out to the pit yesterday. I loaded 4 shells with each powder configuration of 110 grains, 111 grains, 112 grains, 113 grains, 114 grains, and one set of 105 grains as per Barnes recommendation, all at 3.740" COL. I started out with the 105 loads, and worked up from there. The 105's were immediatly alot better than what I was shooting previously, but still not great by any means.....grouping in the neighborhood of 2.5-3". I worked my way up to the 114's, and the groups were consistantly getting better........down to 1" now at 100 yds. The groups between the 113 gr. loads and the 114 gr. loads are pretty close, but the 114's are a bit tighter, so I am assuming that I am close in finding the most accurate load. I am going to do some more loading with mid loads in that area (113.5, 114 again, 114.5, and 115 gr), and do some more shooting next weekend. I am quite pleased with the progress to date.

The next step will also be to bed the rifle, but I will not do that until after this hunting season.

My dad has the exact set up as you from the rifle to the scope. he was ready to tear the thing apart and build a custom because he could not get it to shoot. Then he went to the 225 TSX and H4831 I believe and got much better performance. but I think he is now using the 225 TTSX with RL25 I will find out what he is using for grains. As far as seating depth goes I know he just makes them to where they fit in the magazine. I will get some more specifics for you.

Valin,

Could you also note if any of your higher loads are compressed or not and what speeds you are attaining?

I have limited load data at hand regarding Reloader 25, and no, I have not done any testing with the above mentioned powder so I will be interested in seeing what your results are.

Valin,

Could you also note if any of your higher loads are compressed or not and what speeds you are attaining?

I have limited load data at hand regarding Reloader 25, and no, I have not done any testing with the above mentioned powder so I will be interested in seeing what your results are.

I will be able to do that after this upcoming weekend. I did not have a chronograph with me when I was shooting last time, so current velocities are unknown. I have also not loaded any higher than the 114's, but I will be testing heavier loads, and I have not reached the point of compressed loads.

I will be able to do that after this upcoming weekend. I did not have a chronograph with me when I was shooting last time, so current velocities are unknown. I have also not loaded any higher than the 114's, but I will be testing heavier loads, and I have not reached the point of compressed loads.

Valin,

Am curious as to how you went with your load testing?

I was going to do some loads of my own for comparison but the LGS never had any in stock and wont be restocked till mid December.

Regards,

Gnome!

The best loads seem to be at 114.0 gr. of the Reloader 25 on the Barnes 225 ttsx's. I played around with length of 3.740", and 3.763", and they grouped very similarly, but they move more easily through my magazine at 3.740", so I will stay there. Groups are just under an honest 3" (outside of holes) at 250 yds.

I had a heck of a time getting my 270 WSM to shoot the TSX until I read about a recommendation Barnes makes for them. Seat them deep. I tried it and the load is unbelievably accurate. I think they recommend as deep as .05, might be worth a try.

.338/.378 Mark V Accumark Ziess 4.5X14

Tried up to 114 gr. reloader 25 everywhere from .050" to .070" off the lands.
Speed was 3260. OAL was 3.830" @ .070" off the lands. ( this won't go in a factory mag & won't feed)"At least with mine" !!!! ( had to make some changes).
Was seeing some pressure signs I didn't care for and dropped back to 113.5 gr. & .070" off (which it likes).Nice groups, well under 1 MOA with today 3" to 4"@ 600yds, some burnishing on head , primers look good,a little tight coming out once in a while, I'm going to 113gr & try that & see what I have for M/V etc.
Are you guys having consistent copper fouling @ the end of the barrel with these velocities? My barrel is clean, I mean clean,hours & hours of polishing w/ JB from course to fine over & over etc.?????
I can usually get 6 to 8 rounds and then things go south.
This thing is a "tack driver" if I could just keep the barrel from fouling with Copper.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts