.224 Valkyrie?

I use a 22-243 Ack Imp custom made rifle & use the 65 Sierra game king bullet. I get about 3800fps from that combination. It is a terrific combo on coyotes, javelinas, pigs and other varmints. I can shoot 5 bullets at 100 yards inside of a dime. I have also killed audads (frontal shots only) and does. Virtually no recoil, short barrel. Only disadvantage is that fire forming is required to get to the final case prep done. Really fun to shoot

Here in West Virginia we can't use anything more than 22 cal to hunt at night I would say that the first shot is your best shot and using a bolt gun may make you a better shot and maybe a better hunter I love my ARs but I am a big fan of the 223 cartridge with 50 to 80 grain quick opening bullets I made 55 straight kills with a 700 varmint in 223 with a 12 twist using 55 grain Hornady SX bullet I like what the 224Val is bringing to the table but have very little experience with it .it seems to be accurate and low noise if it was not for noise the 22-250 or 220 swift would be my choice

My AR is a 26" Hart 9T .223 AI and over the many years I've used it on coyotes I've found the 60 and 69 TMK have been just about perfect for it out to 500-600 yds. (the 69). My buddy though is beating me with his 8T .223 AR's and is beating me at longer ranges with 75's-80's though that may just be because he gets more opportunities than me at those ranges.

Thats exactly why Im hesitant, I've heard that before.
Sounds like an awesome round when/if you get it dialed in.
Yeah, it's hair pulling!! Although, the Valkyrie was the first cartridge I reloaded for🤯! Terrible idea but I think it helped me get/be a better reloader in search for shooting 1k! Never done before the Valkyrie came out, 400 was absolutely max! Now it's a cake walk and fun......not so much at this point in this countries shortages but. It's really not terrible concept but there is way better cartridges that fit in the ar15 platform that are way more suitable. I feel like and I think someone else said this about the Valkyrie.......it wasn't made to out perform the .223, it was to shoot heavy bullets beyond 1000-1300 yards in an ar15, sole purpose, that's why there is similar performance between them. If you can get 3000+fps with an 80g bullet, that's where you need to be. Mine is a 1-6.5 twist and it actually shot 60g factory ammo pretty decent so, faster twist don't mean you can't accurately shoot lighter bullets but you stand the chance of blowing up bullets.

Good luck!

I didn't find this to be true, but I've been reloading since I was about 10 years old!

IHFarmer07 said:
My hate about it......I wasted a lot of components loading for it to find a suitable load as it's very hard to reload for.
Thats exactly why Im hesitant, I've heard that before.
Sounds like an awesome round when/if you get it dialed in.

Years ago when the Val first came out I just built a new upper. The barrel is a 24 flutted stainless rifle length piston setup. I couldn't find a barrel with a + 2 inch gas system. If you are doing a 6mm ARC get the + 2 inch. Higher pressure rounds with slow powders get better velocity and less pounding on the action. I bought 1000+ cases and boxes of 500 pills

To save time I went with powders that I had. Leverrevolution, cfe223, Superformance, and staball 6.5. All of these work. I first did bench shooting with the chrono. 80 gr @.473 BC. beat out the 90 gr @.523 BC because of the fact that I was never going to do 600 or a 1000 yard competition. This is a varmint gun. I love doing ground squirrel and Prairie dogs.

STaball and LVR are nice. As to 3000 fps. that requires above max pressure in my setup. Yes i load tested in .2 grain increments up to flatten primers. Actually loose primer pockets and ruined cases. I load lower right around the listed max and found that accuracy went way up. typical load is more like 2840 with low ES

I originally bought the Val to address short comings of the .223 AR platform. I tried target shooting with a 24 inch .936 inch gas block heavy AR. I found out that .223 is limited by the mag. length which equates out to about 75 gr ballistic tipped bullets. Heavier bullets go so much down in the case that it displaces the max powder load.

The Valkyrie short fat case and long throat address that problem. As a cheap to shoot varmint rifle I give it a thumbs up. Little more power than .223

Once for ground squirrel hunting trip I did try CFE 223 and the 69 grain Sierra bullet. Loaded to just under 3200 fps. My friends were getting everything under 200 yards and I was tearing them up way out there.
[h3][/h3]

Last edited:
Have a pal with an Olympic 22-250. Killed many many Coyotes out to 350 yards w/55 gr softpoints. Shooting flat is far more important than high BC bullets. Most Coyote hunting is not a long range proposition. Call them in and shoot them.

.243 Win with Hornady 105 gr AMax and Hybrid 100V. 2960 fps, bucks the wind at long range and only makes a mess of em if you hit bones bigger than ribs. I hunt out west where it's always windy and they're call shy. If they don't come in they get dumped at long range. Not saving many pelts just controlling thier numbers.

StaBALL 6.5 is now my go to powder for 243 and Valk. Remington SPS Varminter 26 inch 9 1/8 twist rate. Just for ease on the ballistic tables I downloaded to get a 3000 fps with a low ES using 105s. H100 V and ramshot hunter were what I used to use

I dont have the Valkyrie, but instead I went with the 22 Nosler. I was looking for speed and didn't really plan to shoot heavy for caliber bullets so I chose the 22 N. Mine is a 22" White Oak barrel and I have zero complaints. I have not shot any coyotes with it yet but it is absolutely devastating on fox and groundhogs shooting the 55 grain Nosler BT.