.224 Valkyrie?

To me shot placement means a lot I've seen coyote drop with a head shot from a 22lr and seen coyote lost with a poorly placed shot from a 7 rem mag . It's up to each of us what we like to use and what we feel comfortable with .

I like the idea of making a perfect shot on a coyote, but unfortunately that just doesn't seem to be the case. Because all of us, (I'm making as assumption) are willing to sling lead at a coyote in a flat sprint at 300y dipping between trees, (and nobody is ever there to see the hits, but someone is always watching when you whiff), shot placement isn't nearly as predictable in my experience. I'll take shots at predators and varmints that I'd never take at a member of the deer family. Because our pelts are essentially worthless where I live, I'm not really worried about fur damage. So, my cartridge considerations are based more on lethality at extended ranges while maintaining light recoil for follow up shots, and a lightweight platform and lightweight and inexpensive ammo to help keep my load lighter. I will continue to admit that I am here to learn, because these critters make me look like an idiot all the time, but I believe the 6mm arc ar15 fills my cartridge needs as well as anything can. I am very happy with the terminal performance. If I lived in the west and could potentially kill some valuable pelts, the only thing I would change would be to shoot a lighter bullet from the same gun. A 55-70 gr bullet running (maybe just under 3k?) Would probably wreck less fur, but be plenty lethal..

That does bring up a question I'd like to ask the group:

What kind of bullets do you guys prefer, and are you prioritizing fur or terminal performance with your choice? Any first hand experiences with bullet types that would discourage further use? I'm not really asking about manufacturers as much as I am curious about bullet construction type. Thanks fellas

I have killed a truck load of coyote using a 223 chambered Winchester model 70 with a 20" barrel having a 1:12 twist . I run the 55 grain Sierra boat tail hollow points running at 2900 fps mv . My rifle shoots 1/2 moa I normally don't make shots much past 200 yards but have killed out to 450 yards with that rifle and loads and my thing is precision bullet placement and restraint for myself . I am there for dead coyote and that is how the money is made so I will pass on not good shots till I can get a better shot . Many of my coyote aren't good for fur because of the time of the year they are taken but the 55 grain does good to you on the fur side of it when you do your part and make good shot placement . Reemty can teach all of us about remaining calm and doing our part with shooting .

The 52's aren't designed to hunt with they have a small hole in the h.p. the 55's have a bigger hole and thinner jack to open up for hunting the 52's and 53's are made for accuracy and target shooting mostly but work on heaver bodies the 55 's expend all of their energy in the coyote but on bobcats and fox you will get some copper come out . I experimented till I got them to work well for me and still had good accuracy but then I was only shooting a couple at a time not a full magazine of them and at selected targets out of a 223 . In my 22-250 I liked the 50 gr and the 55 gr but sometimes they would explode in a snow or rain storm .

I have been using 224 valkyrie for the past couple of years and have had good luck with 60gr Noslers BT's. Seem to have a little better base in them than V-max, I haven't had a splash with them. I use a 1-6.5 twist barrel.

I've got a remage Valkyrie and it's a love hate relationship.......I've killed a lot of things way out to 500-600 yards shooting 80g eldms at 3000fps+, it's killed a lot of firsts for distance. I've only shot one coyote with it last year with it and planted at 320 yards or so with the 80g eldm doing idk 2900fps at the muzzle with that load, which was 3000fps+ in the summer but winter was 2900 or so. My hate about it......I wasted a lot of components loading for it to find a suitable load as it's very hard to reload for.

I'm also seriously looking into getting a 6arc also, just because lol.

Last edited: