224 Valkyrie?

I did some more researching, and it's parent case is not the 6.5 Grendel, like I initially had thought... It's VERY similar, but apparently it's a shortened and necked-down 6.8 SPC II... The case head diameter is .419-.420" (which is on par with the 6.8 SPC), and the 6.5 Grendel is .440". Also, the body of the .224 Valkyrie is slightly longer than the 6.5 Grendel.

Interesting, I saw this from Ashbury Ordnance on FB originally a week ago about the announcement of the new cartridge from Federal, and read a lot about it on a site they have dedicated to the new round on FB .224 Valkyrie. I thought I had read it was based off the Grendel? At my age my mind is not as sharp as it once was unless it's something I knew from long ago and read enough about to remember.

Just a note; I believe the round is advertised as "Approaching 6.5 cm ballistics". External ballistics point of view; sure I'd buy in to that statement.

New 224 Valkyrie provides comparable ballistics as larger counterparts like 6.5 Creedmoor but with as little as half the felt recoil.

While the comparison for recoil has some validity, the external ballistics claim is ridiculous. Simple calculations with the 130 grain and 140 grain VLD bullets in the 6.5 Creedmoor destroys this idea. With 18 more grains of powder capacity and bullets weighing 40 to 50 grains more, they're not even close.

Regards.

While the comparison for recoil has some validity, the external ballistics claim is ridiculous. Simple calculations with the 130 grain and 140 grain VLD bullets in the 6.5 Creedmoor destroys this idea. With 18 more grains of powder capacity and bullets weighing 40 to 50 grains more, they're not even close.

Regards.
Well, that's been the new trend since Savage supporters started bashing Remington all over the place, making wild-*** exaggerated claims about their lack of accuracy (not there hasn't been a few problems, every manufacturer has had them, including Savage), and then it's continued with the 6.5CM supporters claiming that the .308 Win is "old, slow, and outdated", and that the 6.5CM has magical properties that can only be surpassed by the .300WM, .300NM, and .338 Lapua (military sniper cartridges, of course), continuing now with claims that the .224 Valkyrie has magical abilities, and the exaggerated BS will continue when the 6.5 PRC drops.

This world needs to get back to being able to comprehend facts, doing their own research, and learning how to develop a BS-0-meter, instead of just believing everything someone else says. Sometimes in life you have to roll-up your sleeves, get your hands dirty, and figure something out for yourself. Today's people don't seem to understand this concept...They just believe everything they saw on FB, or saw on some random internet website. :rolleyes:

This post will probably **** alot of people off, but it's not my intention, and I also really don't give a crap if it ****es anyone off. It's my opinion, I'm allowed to it, just like everyone else is allowed to their's.

Last edited:
Well, that's been the new trend since Savage supporters started bashing Remington all over the place, making wild-*** exaggerated claims about their lack of accuracy (not there hasn't been a few problems, every manufacturer has had them, including Savage), and then it's continued with the 6.5CM supporters claiming that the .308 Win is "old, slow, and outdated", and that the 6.5CM has magical properties that can only be surpassed by the .300WM, .300NM, and .338 Lapua (military sniper cartridges, of course), continuing now with claims that the .224 Valkyrie has magical abilities, and the exaggerated BS will continue when the 6.5 PRC drops.

This world needs to get back to being able to comprehend facts, doing their own research, and learning how to develop a BS-0-meter, instead of just believing everything someone else says. Sometimes in life you have to roll-up your sleeves, get your hands dirty, and figure something out for yourself. Today's people don't seem to understand this concept...They just believe everything they saw on FB, or saw on some random internet website. :rolleyes:

This post will probably **** alot of people off, but it's not my intention, and I also really don't give a crap if it ****es anyone off. It's my opinion, I'm allowed to it, just like everyone else is allowed to their's.

If you have nothing nice to say could you try saying nothing at all?

If you have nothing nice to say could you try saying nothing at all?
What people don't realize is that I am being nice. If I was intentionally being mean, I'd get banned in about .5 seconds, because it would be a hell of a lot worse than the stuff I post now.

Last edited:
What people don't realize is that I am being nice. If I was intentionally being mean, I'd get banned in about .5 seconds, because it would be a hell of a lot worse than the stuff I post now.

If fb and forum chatter upset you that much, log out, leave your cell at home and go hunting.

There's a saying, "some ppl fish their entire lives without realizing its not the fish they're after." This also applies to hunting.

Blow some steam off bud.
Cause in the end it's not the gear you have or the mounts on your wall but the hunts you've had that count.

I don't use FB or any social media. Forums is about as close as I get to that, only because there's always good info and usually a fun conversation to be had.

I have been a bit extra "Red Forman" the last couple years... But things in life change us, and not always for the better. Some folks become more content as they age, some become more cynical, the last few years have led me down the latter path.

I don't use FB or any social media. Forums is about as close as I get to that, only because there's always good info and usually a fun conversation to be had.

I have been a bit extra "Red Forman" the last couple years... But things in life change us, and not always for the better. Some folks become more content as they age, some become more cynical, the last few years have led me down the latter path.
12003028_858159667629997_5189028876988029336_n.jpg

I completely understand that, and why I like to use this funny quote just to keep things on the lighter side. Kinda like how many heart attacks can one person have before changing their life, or too many people all moving to one side of a boat?

I try to stay even keeled, and stay out of conflicts I have no control over, or care about. It's not worth dipping my toe in the water when I don't have a vested interest in it. When the tide goes out, and they have know one to save them they'll have to save themselves, or drown I say.

Same for learning what to do, what not to do, and/or what works or not. The idea(s) about one cartridge vs another has long been debated which is never going to go away, and why would it? New cartridges are born from old, or new, and designed to keep up with innovation, marketing plays the role to excite people to own or try something new....... New cars, new boats, new toys, not new to me but new to someone, and that keeps the funds flowing around the World.

So why bother brother, life is too short to get stretched in debates that will never matter in the end.

So if I am reading all this correctly. The 6.5 Grendel is inline with the 224V?
I have the 6.5 right now (just picked up an upper) and am looking to build (I have 3 lowers, 1 finished 2 to build) something on the smaller caliber (not mag) and was looking at the 224V.

Waste of time or just add to the collection? LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.