.224 Speer bullets

I agree on hogs. That tsx would be a great choice as they penetrate almost as good as ball.
Does that TSX bullet have some expansion? I've read some negative reviews on people shooting hogs with 22 caliber bullets like FMJ type.

They do expand as I have a good friend who shoots them and likes them for both reasons. Penetration and expansion. In the early days there was a lot of talk of no expansion but it seems now anyone that shoots them likes them

Anyone know of a place that has the 70 grain Speer bullets in stock? Going to load up some hog hunting rounds and seems Speer 70 gr. or Sierra 60 gr. Gameking should get the job done any other bullet suggestions welcome for .223.

Midway is out of the 70 grain Speer bullets, but I found some on Speer-ammo.com They are in stock (part # 1053) at $15.95 a hundred. Free shipping if your order over $50.

That should work. Im going to try the gold dot 75 gr in my 22-250 for deer this year
I just seen those on their website I wander if I could get those to feed through my AR. I've got a 22-250 but I built it as a bench rifle way to heavy to carry hunting.

Your rifle would be ok here shooting whitetail does on alfalfa fields. lol They do make those in lighter weights also which you could get coal with.

Years ago I used 70gr Barnes in 223 and where my accuracy node happened to be was at a little lower than book max charge weight and they wouldn't reliably expand on game or ballistic jell after further testing at that charge weight. At book max they opened reliably at 100yds or less so I changed to running 55gr copper bullets and push them as fast as I can accurately giving me more range in which they will reliably open up on game. I think the 70gr can work in 223 but maybe better suited to a faster 22 caliber. I've also had more copper fowling issues with Barnes bullets than with the Hornady GMX in some guns. I suspect that the Barnes are a softer copper alloy. Before I started using copper bullets I shot a great many dear with softpoint 55gr in 223 and they where effective but the superior penitration and wound channel of the copper bullets have won me over particularly in the lighter hunting calibers such as 223. This would be particularly important on a tough critter like a hog.

Years ago I used 70gr Barnes in 223 and where my accuracy node happened to be was at a little lower than book max charge weight and they wouldn't reliably expand on game or ballistic jell after further testing at that charge weight. At book max they opened reliably at 100yds or less so I changed to running 55gr copper bullets and push them as fast as I can accurately giving me more range in which they will reliably open up on game. I think the 70gr can work in 223 but maybe better suited to a faster 22 caliber. I've also had more copper fowling issues with Barnes bullets than with the Hornady GMX in some guns. I suspect that the Barnes are a softer copper alloy. Before I started using copper bullets I shot a great many dear with softpoint 55gr in 223 and they where effective but the superior penitration and wound channel of the copper bullets have won me over particularly in the lighter hunting calibers such as 223. This would be particularly important on a tough critter like a hog.
Good info. Thanks

Good info. Thanks
Yes I need a bullet that opens fast with Max damage. I live in very rough Laurel thicket country in the Smokies and the hogs we have been on is staying in those thickets and my shots are close range under 25 yards most of the time....can't see much farther than 25 yards. Just wanted to carry my AR because it's short light and easy to carry.

Last edited:
Nosler lists a 64Gr. Bonded solid base bullet. Pictures shows a sort of flat nose. They should turn a hog to Ham, Bacon and sausage real quick. Listed in boxes of 100. May be a bullet to look at for your type of hunting.

The 65 Gr Sierra Game King will work but if you can find Speer 62 or 77 gr GOLD DOT bullets they will be AWESOME. Midway has some of the Speer 55 gr GOLD DOT. The GOLD DOT is a bonded bullet that expands quickly with 5 peddles BUT holds together and penetrates really well. I used the 120 gr Speer GOLD DOT in my 6.5 Grendel to shoot a deer this year and it did AWESOMELY. Shot was to center of the chest as the 100ish pound doe deer faced me at 111 yards. Bullet exhibited what looked like full expansion upon impact but held together and the hydrostatic effect was tremendous shredding the chest cavity. The bullet penetrated about 20 inches and exited out the belly with a thumb size hole. I have killed lots of deer with lots of different bullets and calibers and I have never seen what this GOLD DOT bullet does.

If you are after a bullet that expands fast but still gives excellent penetration have a look at the 55 grain Norma Oryx. They are bonded and I have found them to be very good on deer out of a 223 and a 22-250. Over the years I have shot over 100 deer with Speer and Sierra 55 grain bullets from a 22-250 but now I tend to use the Oryx for pigs and deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.