.224 bullets in 22 savage HP?

Trond

Hello folks
First post from a fellow hunter from Norway here.

I have a Valmet 212 double barreled shotgun that i got from my father. It has quite a bit of sentimental value for me. I recently found a combination barrel for sale, pretty cheap. The only problem is that it is chambered in a 12ga/5,6x52R (22 Savage HP) combo. I believe you americans moved on from this caliber, but it is still not uncommon in europe, since it's a low pressure, rimmed cartridge. This suits the breach-break combination guns very well.

I can get factory loaded ammo for this, but not in a very wide assortment. Sellier & bellot and Hornady make .228 bullets for hand loading. The 12ga/5.6 combo will suit grouse hunting performance-wise, but i have reservations against getting this barrel and having a limited amount of bullet brands to play with.

Is it possible to use the .224 bullets in some way? Bullet hold would be an issue, i might work around this in reloading by using thicker brass or sanding down the mandrel. I was wondering if any of you have tried this or heard of such a venture. What would happen to the precision?

Cheers
Trond

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.