.224 44 Hammer Hunter for Whitetail?

just_jon

I recently read an post about hunting African plains game with a 17 Hornet and 21 HH and it has me thinking about hunting WT this fall with my 22-250AI and the 44 HH. I'm limited to the 44 grain by twist (1:12) or I would definitely go heavier. I know tons of deer are taken with the 22-250 each year, but this is outside of my comfort zone. I'm hoping someone out there has some real world experience with this bullet on WT sized game.

I have used this bullet in a 22K hornet on many hogs and few whitetails with great success this bullet kills way above its weight class

I'm sure bean will jump in but I would run it to where you drop below 1800 fps. I used to focus on energy but after doing some testing and seeing other's results hammers are a completely different bullet. As long as you are at or above 1800 fps and you place the Bullet and your intended point of aim. Then start sharpening the knives.

I recently read an post about hunting African plains game with a 17 Hornet and 21 HH and it has me thinking about hunting WT this fall with my 22-250AI and the 44 HH. I'm limited to the 44 grain by twist (1:12) or I would definitely go heavier. I know tons of deer are taken with the 22-250 each year, but this is outside of my comfort zone. I'm hoping someone out there has some real world experience with this bullet on WT sized game.

I also would like to read this article.

I'm sure bean will jump in but I would run it to where you drop below 1800 fps. I used to focus on energy but after doing some testing and seeing other's results hammers are a completely different bullet. As long as you are at or above 1800 fps and you place the Bullet and your intended point of aim. Then start sharpening the knives.
^^^^^ This. 👍 Hammer's warp all the conventional rules. To say it in terms an animal would understand - you don't want to be the unfortunate sucker at the hittin end of these Hammers regardless of calculated energy if you got the velocity.

I said "your velocity/energy threshold" as it is yours to decide. I've heard so many numbers on energy to kill an elk but my bow has a whopping ~64 ft/lbs of energy and it gets the job done. Bottom line is that if you hit them in the vitals they will die. The Hammers at warp speed are really raising the bar though.

Those 44's should do just fine, can't imagine having accuracy issues and from all I hear they will be effective.

If by some odd chance they don't shoot well, then give the 63 Sierra a go and it'll perk like a charm. Same with the good old 55 Horn w/c.

Any of this bullets will do you well for your venison

Wish I had though of that. Energy data indicates 200 yard limit running 4500 fps. I can live with tha
Dont forget to post your success, I'm going to give the 35 Hammer hunters a couple of lung shot deer to devour!!!! I've taken the 50 grain tnt 22-250 out to 479 yards and recovered the bullet under the hide on the opposite side of impact. I'm sure you'll do fine with a 44 grain bullet! I must inform you the 22-250 is a varmint cartridge not a deer cartridge lol!!!!