223AI neck sizing

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by little black 243, Jan 8, 2010.

1. little black 243

little black 243 Well-Known Member

2. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

I have none with the Hornady dies. I use the Redding Type S bushing dies for mine.

3. Kevin Thomas

Kevin Thomas Well-Known Member

Always a bit dubious about the "one-size fits all" concept, especially where reloading is concerned. If it doesn't use bushings of some sort, how do you account for the difference in case neck thickness from one caliber to another (and no, they ain't the same by any means!)? I'll go +1 with Stormrider on the Redding Type-S dies, probably a bit pricier to begin with, but you truly do get what you pay for. Money well spent, and you won't regret it down the road.

Kevin Thomas
    Lapua USA

4. Johnboy

Johnboy Well-Known Member

cannot say for the dies you talked about.but read that someone was useing a Lee collet die in the standard case size.say 223rem with a 223 ackley.and that I have been wanting to try this wth my 300 aclkley useing a 300 weatherby collet die.

5. little black 243

Thank you for the replies. Not sure yet if I will try it or go all out for the redding. Would it be worthwhile to use the redding S dies without neck turning?

6. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I would recomend a dedicated die for neck sizing because it will hold the case concentric
    during neck sizing in order to prevent run out (The way to measure this is with a case
    concentricity gauge).

I have not used the Hornady for the same reason as some others have posted and
    use the Redding dies on my 223 AI.

Just a recommendation

J E CUSTOM

7. little black 243

Thanks again for the replies, I just found a redding S neck die for $35 at a local shop!