223 with 4064 powder ??

savagelover

I been doing a lot of reading about using 4064 in the 223.....I have never tried it..

And wondered if anyone of you have and with any good results....I heard it was

good in the 22-250,but it does not do anything for me..I think it was a waste of

time for me...I have 3 lb of it and with most powder getting harder to get right

now it might be good for something...Maybe in my 308...john

But the question was have you used it in your 223 ? I have heard of guys using it but I have nnever heard if they had any extrem accuracy with it.

I don't know what weight bullet you want to use with IMR 4064 but if you go to ammoguide they have quite a few loads with that powder and others that should answer any questions you have . Good luck with your loads.

lightbulb

I been doing a lot of reading about using 4064 in the 223.....I have never tried it..

And wondered if anyone of you have and with any good results....I heard it was

good in the 22-250,but it does not do anything for me..I think it was a waste of

time for me...I have 3 lb of it and with most powder getting harder to get right

now it might be good for something...Maybe in my 308...john

It'll work better with heavier bullets as it is on the slow side for the 223. I tried it with 75 grain bullets in my AR but had better luck with 4895. The accuracy never did come in with 4064 for me with the 223. Now for the 308 and 06 with 150's or thereabouts 4064 is a good choice.

thats kind of what I thought.There wouldn't be any great accuracy with it..But I can burn it up in my 308 if need be..

I have used it with 55gn to 75gn bullets with great accuracy.Even today I have a load for 75gn Berger VLD bullets for deer hunting,for the mu baby girl.I want to say its 24gn but not sure,for I haven't had to load any in some toime now.20 rounds last a long time for the baby girl.

Just pick a bullet and do a ladder test,starting at 22gn.you will find out yourself if you like it or not.All my test start with the bullet about .010 from the lands.

:)thanks for the info.I will have to try it as soon as the bullets get back into the stores..I think I have something like 3 lbs here...Thanks again..:cool:john

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.