.223 vs 5.56 which is better for hunting

richard33

When we talk about .223 and 5.56 both are identical in shape. Infact we can load a .223 in a 5.56 chamber and both cartridges are widely used in AR guns. So the question is. Is it possible to hunt a Bear or Deer in any of these cartridges or .Is there any step by step AR 15 build guide for Hunting purpose.

My daughter and I have shot a handful of whitetails with a 223 and a 556 using 62 gr Barnes TTSXs and 77 gr Sierra TMKs. Both bullets worked well. The farthest with the Barnes was a little over 100 yards. The farthest with the Sierra was a little over 230 yards. The longer shot was out of a 14.5" barrel and it was the only bullet that did not exit. With my daughter's 22.4" Tikka, I would not hesitate to shoot a deer at 300 yards, or possibly a little farther. However, if you don't get an exit, I don't think you will see much blood — that entrance hole is small.

Is it possible,yes. Is it ideal? No. I have killed a lot of deer and pigs with my 223(bolt action). It is what I normally carry in the truck. Shot placement is the key. Eye,ear,and throat patch shots are all I take with it. It is far from the ideal game hunting round,but very effective if you know your limitations. That said when I go hunting I take something bigger. Personally if I was to build an ar for hunting it would probably be a 6.5 or 350 legend.

To answer your question, the difference between the two wont make any difference.
If that's all you got, its very possible.
I'd lean toward a 20" barrel for a dedicated hunting rifle. 7 or 8 twist for shooting heavier bullets. Dear inside 200 shouldn't be a problem.
Bears are another level of tough in my experience, I've seen them take magnum rounds with good shot placement and go what seems like an impossible distance.
I wouldn't shoot bears with a 556 unless I had a close behind the ear shot.
If that's all you got, go hunting.

If you were looking to hunt between those two calibers with an AR, I think you would be better off with the .223 Wilde or 5.56 chambering to expand your selection of useable ammo. .223 ammo has more hunting specific loadings, but I wouldn't want to get a .223 specific rifle and risk loading a 5.56 and causing damage or personal injury.

As far as a guide to building a hunting specific AR, I think it really comes down to what you want out of it. I see you are in FL, and most of what I know about hunting there involves closer ranges, so I would want a handier rifle with a lower magnification optic. If you are sitting and waiting for something to come in, you probably want a different set up than if you are walking and stalking. Something like an 18" barrel gets you more velocity out of the smaller cartridge for deer sized game without being cumbersome. Otherwise the next concern for me would be weight, so selecting a handguard and furniture which is functional but not heavy or covered in rails that I don't need for that specific application. Any youtube channel could show you how to assemble an AR with ease, or you can save several steps if you just buy a complete upper.

Look at a 6.5 grendel 6mm arc 6.8 or blackout over the 223/556 upper. A grendel would be my choice however the 6mm arc slinging 105 class bullets at 2700ish would also be quite a bit better than a 223. More advanced in budget look at the 6mm ar turbo40 from Robert Whittley. 105's at 28-2900(24" or longer tube) world class accuracy and no recoil. More involved but not ridiculous.
Bears would be a no with a 223 outside of headshots in a treed situation for me

5.56. Is the military as most know. most factory options come in a faster twist than a .223 designed to shoot the heavier bullets. Mine shoot the 64 grain bonded bullets extremely well. They are great for deer and will work fine for bear in bait type situation where shots are close, good bullet and good shot placement

Look at a 450 Bushmaster upper for your AR. I picked one up about a year ago and it's a great shooting gun. Close range bear would be no problem.

With bullet ranges from 90-120grains, the 6.8SPC gets my vote in the AR platform. Plenty of go juice out of my 16" barrel and great from shorter barrels with a can (12.5" in my case). My 16" is superlight and very accurate. I have 2-10 Vortex Razor LH on it and can easily pop critters out to 300.

That being said, it isn't my go to deer gun....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.