.223 Varmint Factory Ammo recommendations

gregorsway

When I bought my DPMS AR-15 several years ago I bought several thousand rounds of FMJ. I've also tried Remington 55 grain. I realize every gun is different, but have any of you found a .223 round you've found to be exceptional out of the AR platform.
I am most interested in coyote size varminting and downwards to fox/bobcat size.
Thanks in advance!

Stag Arms 6H Upper

5.56 Nato Chamber
Forged and Mil Spec.
None/Gas Block
24" Stainless Steel 1/8 Twist

Thanks.

greg... I would think you need to try some of the heavier weight bullets in the 8t barrel, although you can never know for sure until you try some...

Black Hills brand, in a couple of different weights, is a good way to go

Thanks, Larry

Thanks guys. I had been looking at Hornadys 75 grain BTHP Match load. I'm realizing great groups at short ranges. Now it is time to go out further than I am comfortable shooting and see what my AR can do.
I basically have a bowhunter's mentality- I try to draw them in or let them work their way in as close as possible. That is not a luxury with coyotes in our area. They are very skiddish and not easy to call.

Larry, I'll check out Black Hills, never have shot one bullet from them.

I reload for mine (Stag Arms Model 6 Varminter) and getting around half inch groups @ 100 yards. I started with them after reading a review how the factory rounds were and haven't tried anything else to date. Shot prairie dogs 300-400 yards in Wyoming last sumemr, and that was last I shot it cuz things got busy in life.

Thanks Greywolf,
I'm thinking of getting a RockChucker single stage. I've never reloaded before- but times are getting tight. Are you using a heavy bullet?

Yes, I reload. I bought the RCBS master kit and a case trimmer and just started reading the reloading manuals and just started. The first time I shot one of my reloads I was wearing my sunglasses (I almost never wear eye protection because I don't wear them while hunting) just in case and cringing because I was sure I messed something up...was really funny. Once I saw my groups shrinking and expanding with different loads I started having fun. Now I'm hooked and reload for my AR and my .308. Start small and make sure you read the manuals at least twice before trying! I actually had a how-to book open and going step by step the first couple times just to make sure I was doing it safely. I told my wife it was cheaper to reload, but starting out is expensive buying the reloading equipment, brass, bullets, powder, dies, etc. Now that I've had it a little over a year and reloaded a couple hundred rounds it is all paying off since I'm not paying $40 a box (my .308)!

I originally bought 2 boxes of the 75gr Hornady BTHP factory ammo to break in the barrel, but then I also handloaded some and just started using my reloads and never touched the factory ammo....in fact they are still sitting in my safe with the rest of the factory ammo I never use anymore lol. I'm thinking of trying some VLD's next, but trying to find out if they are too long to fit in the magazine much like the AMax's are.

Sorry for the long post, let us know what you decide on. If you stick with factory ammo, my stag arms 6 likes the hornady's, and I read articles that said that theirs liked the factory hornady 75gr BTHP so that would be where I would start.

Vmax.... shooting under 300, 40gr
shooting 300-500,
55 or 60gr, 500+, you can still use the 60, but a 75 will buck the wind much better...

When I bought my DPMS AR-15 several years ago I bought several thousand rounds of FMJ. I've also tried Remington 55 grain. I realize every gun is different, but have any of you found a .223 round you've found to be exceptional out of the AR platform.
I am most interested in coyote size varminting and downwards to fox/bobcat size.
Thanks in advance!

A while back I found some ammo for break in of new barrels that was made by winchester
in 40round boxes . It was 40gr varmint bullets and the velocity was very good.

It was very cheep at the time and I though it would be OK for break in. as it turns out it was
better that good .All of the rifles that I fired it in liked it.

It is in white boxes 40 rounds to the box and at the time was under $10.00 a box.

I don't know what it is now but if I run across any more I will get all I can.

So far I have only seen it in 22-250 and 223 rem.

J E CUSTOM

I like the new Fiocchi .223 ammo. It is available with the 40 gr v-Max bullets at a very attractive price in boxes of 50 rounds, if you are willing to order in volume. The brass is also quite nice and reloadable. In my bolt guns it has been more accurate than the Remington UMC HP, the Federal American Eagle HP or the WW white box 45 gr HP. Out of my 26" barrel SPS varmint, it chronographed right at 3650 fps.

I get excellent accuracy (~1/2") with the Black Hills "Blue Box" 60 gr V-max. This is with a 1 in 8 twist 16" JT upper.

Sierra 65gr. BTSP Game King is one that just shoots... I load it so that it tracks with the M855 velocity out of my Colt M4/AR using an ACOG .35x35mm; it follows the ACOG ballistic scale {M855} of the scope all the way out to 800 yards dead on. Accuracy is sub 3/4" MOA and better all day long at 100 yards. As for it lethality on varmints… and small game… it's deadly. I've used this bullet for Yote's and small White tail in Idaho, with great success from my H&K 630 in .223 Rem.
One of the manufactures; as I was told at Shot'...., is going to offer that bullet as a factory loading soon in .223 Rem and 22.250 Varm.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.