.223 to short???

thumbs

I just realized I made the oal of my .223 reloads .05 shorter than the min length in the reload book. Is this a problem? Should I not shoot them? I have shot about 200 of them and they were accurate and ran fine in the AR. Can they cause any damage?

thanks for the help

I just realized I made the oal of my .223 reloads .05 shorter than the min length in the reload book. Is this a problem? Should I not shoot them? I have shot about 200 of them and they were accurate and ran fine in the AR. Can they cause any damage?

thanks for the help
Everyone is so **** hung up on letting the bullets hang out; it's almost absurd. If you don't have bullet ogive in the neck you will not have an issue. As long as they aren't falling into the case they will be fine. In some bigger rounds(like the Rums) a .200" to .400" run to the lands is standard. 50 thou. short aint jack if they shoot well.

As long as they fit the magazine and bullets are not jammed into the lands, it is OK. The reloading book OAL's apply only to the test rifle.

I am on the learning curve here and missed the info on oal. I know reloading demands accuracy so I was concerned. Like I said I have shot many of these rounds and they are accurate. They are moa of prairie dog at 230yards. I even went to the shop last night and use my bullet puller to draw back about 50 rounds that I was going to reseat today. I guess I will just shoot what I have and mess with the oal next loading.

thanks guys I was going to reseat a ton of rounds. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't damage the rifle. Like I said I am about .05 less than the book said was the minimum.

thanks for the help

I agree with the others here... it's no big deal, and should shoot just fine in your AR.. AR's are very forgiving.

I do have one question; are you crimping you loads? And what type of crimp are you using, if you are?
Good luck.

Thanks guys.

Not sure what it would hurt, Idono. I think it may effect accuracy but not sure what or if it would hurt anything.

Yes I am putting a factory crimp on the rounds.

I remember a guy, with little or no carpentry exp, trying to nail down a deck on his house. He actually measured where he placed each nail. I know they should be close but measuring is a bit much. In his defense he was learning and because of this he went a bit overboard trying to get it right. In that respect I am at that point in reloading. I am still learning and want to get it right and understand. If he got a nail slightly out of measurement it really wasn't a big deal. If I do the same thing, unknowingly, people could get hurt.

Thanks guys.

Not sure what it would hurt, Idono. I think it may effect accuracy but not sure what or if it would hurt anything.

Yes I am putting a factory crimp on the rounds.

I remember a guy, with little or no carpentry exp, trying to nail down a deck on his house. He actually measured where he placed each nail. I know they should be close but measuring is a bit much. In his defense he was learning and because of this he went a bit overboard trying to get it right. In that respect I am at that point in reloading. I am still learning and want to get it right and understand. If he got a nail slightly out of measurement it really wasn't a big deal. If I do the same thing, unknowingly, people could get hurt.

Ok, Is it a factory crimp like a LEE Factory Crimp Die.... or, are you just using the roll crimp from your die set? Crimping with the Lee is far better in most any rifle, specially in the self-loaders in my experience. Just asking since you said you were just starting up in the hand loading game.

I don't think anyone here would fault you for asking a question concerning safety.. it's all cool.

good luck

Yes it's the Lee factory crimp die. I've been loading for pistol for a while but reasonable new to rifle, which as you know is a bit different. Funny no matter how much I read I always run into questions I can't find an answer. Steep learning curve.

Yes it's the Lee factory crimp die. I've been loading for pistol for a while but reasonable new to rifle, which as you know is a bit different. Funny no matter how much I read I always run into questions I can't find an answer. Steep learning curve.

Keep the questions coming, lot of smart guys on this site that are more than happy too help you.
Cheer's

Well it came down to mag length. I just loaded them to just under magazine length and shot em. They worked well and were accurate. I don't need to fine tune to the point I have to load each round by hand. Just punchin paper and when I get lucky enough, prairie dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts