.223 to a Mile?

Forget those heavy bullets stay with 73 grain eld match down to the 70 gr nosler and 68 and 69 match bullets ,,, I have had excellent results with 52 gr Amax and W-748 powder but pretty sure that 52 grain will never make 1000 yards..... the only reason i dont do Sierras is they are far to proud of there bullets and costs are so much more !

Well they're cheaper than the 308's which is the original reason for staying 223 . That said if I can get the Hornadys to work I'll save even more . . . . fingers crossed!

May have had a little success the weekend , the Sierras ( 69 & 77's ) doing their thing, only 100 Yards and it was blowy but them was shooting the usual moa. The 75 Amax's . . the first two right through the same hole , then the next two and inch in either direction!!,. But thats closest I've had em!

Anyway what do you consider " Jamming in the lands?" 5 , 10 thou ish?

If it groups poorly at 100 it's not going to settle down down the line.

There is some (likely apocryphal) lore on the web about bullets "going to sleep" downrange which is something I do not take exceedingly seriously. The effect may have been observed but the cause has not been sufficiently explained that I've seen nor has the effect been deliberately reproduced that I can find. Thus the reason for my skepticism. Right now it's just lore.

If they're not grouping well then change seating depth and try again. Then change powders and try again. If that doesn't help, change primers and try again. Little things can fix big things.

I jam my bullets into the lands pretty hard for some loads. It helps consistency in a lot of them but it can dramatically raise pressures or turn a good load to a poop load. With bullets seated far out there tends to open a little case capacity behind it so if you don't cram that newly empty space full of powder things shouldn't get too bad pressure wise.

May have had a little success the weekend , the Sierras ( 69 & 77's ) doing their thing, only 100 Yards and it was blowy but them was shooting the usual moa. The 75 Amax's . . the first two right through the same hole , then the next two and inch in either direction!!,. But thats closest I've had em!

If you can find them the noslers 70 RDF *(BC .416) might do the trick...
Get this,,, W748 2957 FPS out of a 20" pacnor barrel !!!
Bet that will make 1000 yards.....
That could be as much as 3257 FPS out of your 26" !

Last edited:
If you can find them the noslers 70 RDF *(BC .416) might do the trick...
Get this,,, W748 2957 FPS out of a 20" pacnor barrel !!!
Bet that will make 1000 yards.....
That could be as much as 3257 FPS out of your 26" !

I bought 2000 of the RDF 70 grain bullets when Shooters Pro Shop had them (blems). Going to use them out to 700-800 yards in my trainer rifle for PRS. The 77 custom competition Nosler shoots good out to 700 yards in my buddies trainer.

Don Dunlap

1000y is totally doable. My womans SPR is the MK-12 clone and gets a few different projectiles out there reasonably accurate depending on conditions. For anything in the extreme long range 1 mile category for anything that really isnt a belted magnum (i'm generalizing there are a few exceptions ) you will really want to pay attention to muzzle velocity, stability and b.c. will be a factor of even IF it is possible. Not to mention the right peripheral equipment and enough elevation assuming all else checks out. stability at that range i feel with be the issue you will have to work around. I would run true data numbers and loads through JBM and try to model potential behavior at that distance before investing to much time.

Thanks for that, all helps

Well we're out to 900m today unlike the rest of the week temperatures dropped upbout 10C and the winds got up , looking about 15mph gusts . . . . recon this could be fun . . . . 303's on the bench!

Short while back I read the artical by Jerry Teo re shooting a mile with a .223 . The cost of shooting especially in the UK isn't cheap so when someone mentions using smaller bullets to shoot further instead of the bigger ones I tend to take note.

The artical is a few years old now but was hoping I could posisbly get some help with the following

I have a Remi 700 in .223 26" barrel with 1 in 9 twist. Most accurate rifle in the box . Shoots sub MOA at anything to 300 Yards using 55, 69 & 77 Grn Sierras, when I've shot 600 I hav'nt been disapointed either . Don't need a mile at this stage but was wondering if anybody could help out at all ( preferably without any major changes ) to get me to 1000?

One of the most interesting things mentioned in his artical ( apart from not busting the bank to build the rifle ) was the part about the bullet going subsonic and that its not as bad as possibly most people thought. I use 'Quick load initially to get the basic info then JMB Balistics to plot a drop chart, only round that I could see that would make the trip ( based on original, keeping supersonic) was a Hornady Amax 75 Grn, but I can't them to shoot.

I'm fairly new to all this so applogies if my approach seems some what 'Odd', however any help would be apprecaited

Chaz
Ok so recently I shot my Remi .223 out to 1000 Yards. Without going into too much detail ,I used Hornady A Max 77 Grn and I know for a fact they definately were not Supersonic at the distance. I'm no sharp shooter but I can honestly say accuracy wise I was just as good ( if thats the right word!) with the 223 if not better than with the 308.

All I ever hear is both rounds are on the ragged edge at this sort of distance , ( although they've both been shot a lot further accurately )ballistics wise there does'nt seem to be much in it. Would be interested to get any feed back on this subsonic stage or anybody elses experiences

So the trabsonic zone will always be around (just before)it's subsonic zone and since that is a matter if muzzle velocity and bc of what distance this takes place, then it would be safe that you should take what people say with a grain of salt. A 24 inch .308 with quality ammo or hand load, will get to 1200 for sure. How you keep stability and velocity going down range becomes it's own game plan beyond that. My strategy to get a .308 past 1700 was I bought a .300 win mag. It worked.

Ok so we're out to a 1000 ( well 900m) with the .223 all seems to be going reasonably well now, think the best part about this is I'm shooting just as good with this as I ever shot with a .308, and the lack of recoil certainly gives the impression on more accuracy!.

That said I shoot off a small sand bag , I beat a 'V' into it and that sits on top a ammo box which seems to be the right height with a small Butt bag at the other end and hand to adjust the elevation.

Main group size at this distance with Minimal wind ( 5-8 mph) is around 25" with the odd flyers

Horizontal is obviously down to me and lack of wind calling but I was wondering whether a Bi Pod may help to correct the up & down? . . . . or is it just a me and a little more practise?

How would it correct your elevation? It will most ceetainly through off your harmonics, so I would recheck your zero one mounting one.

Last attempt at 900m ( just under the 100 Yrds ) I kept most of the rounds within about 25" , that's around 2.5 moa . . . in all honesty did have a few flyers out side that , but that was using Amax 75 Grn & had to down load because of the temperature. Recon velocity wise was only getting 2800 ish so they were well sub before the distance.

I know others can do a lot better!

No you're right , if it shoots MOA at 100 which it does the same application of concentration ( or in my case lack of ability!) excluduing any weather issues, at distance should produce the same results .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.