223 to 6.5cm bolt action conversion

Conversion?

You would need a different bolt, barrel and bottom metal.

Pretty basic question to a fairly complicated task.

Good luck
Steve

I have converted a Savage Axis from 30-06 to 284 Winchester. Beside swapping a bolt head, it's the same amount of work as .223 to 6.5 Creedmoor on an Axis.

In some situations it makes sense. For instance, my Axis 30-06 was bought strictly as a cheap donor and I was building a heavy barrel target gun unlike anything Savage would sell or I was likely to find used.

In a Savage, a 0.473 bolt head can often be found for about $30 so I would have started with a .223 Axis if I found one more than $30 cheaper.

One caveat, the Axis are all kind of long action, even the .223 so it can convert to a long action like I did although 284 Winchester is technically a short action chambering, I want the long magazine so I can load long. Other actions can be long action, short action or a mini action for .223 or 7.62*39. If you have a mini action .223, you are probably out of luck, 6.5 Creedmoor is typically a short action chambering.

Has anyone done a 223 to 6.5cm bolt action conversion? Please share the details with me.

Conversion?

You would need a different bolt, barrel and bottom metal.

Pretty basic question to a fairly complicated task.

Good luck
Steve

This all depends on which action you want to convert. If you want to use the common Remington 700, then there are multiple machining steps, using the original bolt:

Remove the extractor and ejector from the bolt.
Open the bolt face.
Machine for a Sako or M-16 extractor.
Chamfer bolt nose slightly.

The rails have to be machined open to allow the larger diameter case to feed from the magazine.
The feed ramp needs adjusting.

The magazine box and follower have to be replaced.

Or

Buy a new bolt to be fitted or find a Remington bolt for the .473 bolt face.

Or

Buy a new EVO action from Mack Bros. for $575.00

Enjoy!:)

Sell the rifle and buy a rifle or action that fits the new cartridge.
A conversion could turn into a Sit And Wait on parts, "Money Pit".
Thank you. I have come to that conclusion also. I think I will shoot it as a trainer . And do a build for the big boy. You right it just makes sense .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.